Author Topic: A rider ...  (Read 165023 times)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: A rider ...
« Reply #690 on: August 06, 2017, 12:52:32 PM »
Nice part of the spray on dry graphite lube is the liquid carrier allows it to get into places like bearing surfaces, and between bushings using the straw, and then quickly evaporates, just leaving the graphite itself.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #691 on: August 07, 2017, 06:07:55 AM »
I was about the tear the transmission out and thought I'd do a finger spin test of the primary drive assembly .
Disengaged : it was turning 1 1/2 or 2 rounds .
 I then sprayed a bit of Nano Spray Gold on the 'hub' that the drive rides on . I concentrated on getting as much behind the retention cir-clip as possible , trying not to apply too much . Wiped off any excess and gave the drive another finger spin .
It spun 4 - 5 turns and came to an easy , as opposed to abrupt or assisted , stop . It spun more freely the 2nd and 3rd time .

I engaged the transmission and actually kick started the motor . I'm not sure that wasn't helped by my having ran the motor a while before .  I'll try starting it this morning , stone cold , and see what happens .

Nano Spray Gold : Hands down , this is probably the best stuff I have ever used .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #692 on: August 07, 2017, 07:38:13 AM »
Is this Nano spray gold high heat resistant?  I've used industrial oven chain lube for high speed conveyors that worked well on bearings and bushings also.  Hopefully this is the issue that will get you up and running.  Good luck, fingers crossed!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 09:02:38 AM by carryall »

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #693 on: August 07, 2017, 11:01:17 AM »
Paul ,

I really don't know if the Nano spray is high heat resistant .

I was able to kick start the bike this morning , after many kicks . It seemed to run fairly decent . So , I took it for a ride , only to have to push it home . It seized , once again . :(

Time for a nap . Maybe my dreams will have a better ending .

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #694 on: August 07, 2017, 01:19:40 PM »
Could have been worse...

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #695 on: August 07, 2017, 02:36:01 PM »
Could have been worse...

That can almost always be the case , Paul . ;)

And , my nap ... well that didn't happen either . So , no dreams to give a report on .

I can deal with a seizure . I simply don't know what's causing them .
I've sealed everything I can and still it seizes .
I've been burning the same mixture as all our other 2 stroke equipment uses ( they don't seize ) .
I just pulled the spark plug and it has a nice tan color . Not wet and not too light colored .

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #696 on: August 07, 2017, 02:49:58 PM »
Pete, have you checked the running temperature?  I can't remember if you did the oven check.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #697 on: August 07, 2017, 03:44:33 PM »
Rick ,

I still don't have a laser thermometer .
I should just make a run up to Harbor Freight or maybe Walmart .

As for skirt clearance , it's at .007" or .008" , I don'r recall exactly . Probably too much . I think I read that the factory called for .004" . But , that would be with one of the 'cut' pistons .

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #698 on: August 14, 2017, 08:31:26 AM »
Pondering seizures and considering that I've sealed everything I can ;
I've been burning the same mixture and having fuel run out of the crankcase when I remove the compression plate ;  the spark plug has a nice tan color and the exhaust portion of the piston skirt being the only place seizure takes place , I have to think that just as Rick 'suggests' ,  heat is the culprit .

So , my options would include : colder spark plug for quicker heat transfer outward ; retard timing and running premium gas with possibly a higher oil mix . Hopefully , all or some combination of those will reduce the operating temperature to a point of no more seizures .

Any and all comments are more than welcome .

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #699 on: August 14, 2017, 11:56:20 AM »
Pete have you ever had your Simplex engine "4 stroke" at any point in the operating rpm range, idle to say 5,000 rpm? I actually try to induce this wee bit of 4 stroking in my 2 cycle motors for cooling. Running a bit rich at a mid range rpm level that is easy to reach by just a blip of throttle or regress back to by letting off throttle from easy cruising speed. As an arbitrary example let's say 4 stroking begins at 2,500 rpm and continues until it smooths into 2 stroking at 3,500 rpm. The result is a good pull from idle to 2,500 and then a narrow band of 4 stroking is available for cooling, which can be quickly transitioned through to a smooth 2 cycle cruising speed. In my youth I ran Bultacos & quickly learned 2 cycle tricks, which aren't tricks at all but necessities to make antique 2 stroke tech work in desert heat. Keep cool fuel moving in and hot air exiting quickly and most importantly, continually. Keep the revs up, no coasting with a dead throttle, keep revs coming by gearing down on slow stretches. Quite different than operating a 4 stroke, no? Of course the plug doesn't foul as readily either. I actually like my 2 stroke plugs to read a bit rich. Playing the heat range game with plugs along with carb adjustment and timing is also a good way to reduce heat.

Have you changed compression by truing the head or cylinder deck or both, if so a thicker gasket can be employed to lower compression and heat.

Use of too thin a base gasket can also alter compression.

Finally timing. Advance is good at lower rpm's on a 2 or 4 stroke, but the 2 strokes actually run better and cooler with retard at higher rpms. Many street & racing CDI units are designed with this in mind. Perform better and live longer. Motors like the Simplex shouldn't require much advance to perform well.

Premium (no corn fuel ) won't hurt the motor & is quick to check out. Usually if the motor isn't detonating, pinging the gas is fine. I break in with semi synthetic Lucas 2 cycle oil at 40:1 then switch to 20:1 when they start coming to life. Older engines might require a higher ratio. I believe the new ash free synthetic 2 stroke oils are a key factor in my engines running so long and are more than woth their cost.

Case inducted motors are normally considered to cool better than piston port engines and are more efficient. Since the piston skirt is seizing I'll mention 2 things  that I've not covered. Trimming the piston skirt and/or thoughtful drilling of the piston body with small holes to allow the cooling fuel mix to lubricate and cool the cylinder wall continually through the interior of the piston. Drilling is quite common as is trimming of the two I prefer drilling.

Racing motors of the dry sump 4 stroke variety, which run on & are lubricated by fuel oil mix and some operate continually at 12,000 plus rpm.

Exhaust heat buildup can also add significantly to piston,cylinder and head temps. You wouldn't believe the number of cat converters and mufflers that are plugged up though "almost new" ....might run pretty good but be generating internal heat.   

I also can't help but believe that heat is at the root of your motors problem with seizing. Without miking the rotating parts and checking the bore and clearances, all of which create friction and heat, I'd be at a loss at this point for another cause.

I'd suggest acquiring a good laser temp and record both head and cylinder temps at various locations.

Just a few observations and generalizations on 2 strokes in general, not Simplex specific. Have fun,  Rick C.

cotton

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #700 on: August 14, 2017, 05:54:03 PM »
Wow, Rick!  I thought maybe he just had a weak seat spring  :D

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #701 on: August 14, 2017, 07:45:05 PM »
Wow, Rick!  I thought maybe he just had a weak seat spring  :D

LOL . I wish that's all it's been . Butt ( get it ? I don't believe I typed that . :D ) , it's more like a weak spring between my ears . ;)

Rick C ,

4 stroking is what I use to find where the motor runs best .

I've tried different compression #s by adding gaskets . Currently , I'm back down to a single gasket .

Timing is pretty much preset , but can be altered by a few degrees via point gap . I have tried running at 29°BTDC rather than the factory recommended 30° . But that didn't seem to make a difference .

I really like running E=0 premium in all the old motors I have . I have a bottle of Lucas 2 Stroke 1/2 used as well as a half bottle of Opti 2 . I've used Stihl oil ... my motor has seized with all of them .

I've never trimmed a skirt , but have drilled some with excellent results . The thought has been pressing as nothing else I've done so far has seemed to help .

I originally had steel wool stuffed at the ends of the muffler can as noise suppression . It worked . I removed it at some point after the first seizure . Even with the 'packing' the exhaust was high flow . Come to think of it , when I removed the wool , I don't remember it being highly carboned or otherwise fouled .

I intend on buying a laser thermometer .

Thanks for the comments . It's always good to rehash . ;)

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #702 on: August 21, 2017, 08:52:22 AM »
Mostly Cloudy with light rain until this evening .

71.2 °F

No eclipse viewing going on around here .

And , I'm taking the day off from working on the Bike . Maybe ... ;)

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #703 on: August 28, 2017, 10:03:54 PM »
I just finished re-hosting all my pics in this thread .

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #704 on: August 29, 2017, 05:43:20 AM »
I just finished re-hosting all my pics in this thread .

That's why you should have just uploaded  them here!

There are so many websites that are now useless, because of off site picture hosting that has changed.  I am thinking about deleting threads that no longer make sense without the associated pictures.
Rick