Author Topic: A rider ...  (Read 166043 times)

pd

• View Profile
A rider ...
« on: October 21, 2012, 03:16:04 PM »
And so , it begins , again .

My intention is to rebuild my Simplex as a rider . Maybe someday I'll find the motivation to bring it back to a showroom piece , but I want to enjoy it like I did when I was 14 . I didn't care much what it looked like then , even though it wasn't all that bad . It ran pretty good and that was enough .

As I told Mike , here are a few pics of my '57 Simplex . You might agree that I have a bit of work ahead . ;)
I'll post as I progress . And if I don't run out of batteries for the camera , I'll take a few pics along the way .

A little history :

6 1/2 years ago I retrieved the bike from the shed behind my folks home where it had hibernated since 1964 . It came into daylight in much sorrier shape than I recall when putting away . There are a few parts that have disappeared over those 'few' years that I'll have buy or fabricate .
I took it home and stripped it down for clean up and parts replacement . There was some rust on the frame which I removed . I then gave the frame a cover coat of paint to help keep that rust at bay . I recall buying a few replacement bushings and I also relined the brake shoes .
I know there's more to tell , but that will come in due time .

« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 12:36:08 PM by pd »
Goes around , Comes around . :)

pd

• View Profile
Re: A rider ...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 06:33:02 PM »
I had a minute today . Hand turning the mag wheel , checking movement , I heard a scrapping I don't recall hearing before . After pulling the mag wheel , maybe this is the problem :

I'm thinking a good epoxy will do for holding that errant magnet in place .

While things were exposed , I took another pic :

« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 12:37:26 PM by pd »

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 08:09:47 PM »
I wonder if gorilla glue would be better than epoxy?  Either way, try to get it located exactly where it was & use a clamp.
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 08:19:27 PM »
Gorilla glue does have different glues . I'll have to do a bit of research . I'll post what I decide to use and the results . I definitely planned on clamping it . There's no better way . ;)

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 09:25:31 PM »
Looking at the '57 and later parts diagram ( http://www.simplexservi-cycle.com/index.php?topic=446.0 ) , I see a difference in magnet placement , four in a row , than how they are placed in my flywheel , two side by side opposing two side by side .
My stator assembly is identical to that shown in the diagram .
I have to wonder why and then , exactly how would that effect timing ?

« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 12:38:10 PM by pd »

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 09:34:05 PM »
I have an reproduced owners manual and , of course , the Phelon magneto page is missing . :(
So I can't compare that .

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 07:37:58 AM »
If anyone has an owners manual that is from before June 1957 that has the Phelon magneto page . Could you Please scan and post it ? Or at least take a good pic of that page and post that ?

Thanks in advance . :)

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 08:11:10 AM »
Gorilla glue does have different glues . I'll have to do a bit of research . I'll post what I decide to use and the results . I definitely planned on clamping it . There's no better way . ;)

Mike ,

I did check the Gorilla Glue site ( http://www.gorillatough.com/index.php?page=gorilla-glue-guide ) .

I like the waterproof and temperature resistant qualities .

Gorilla Glue should be a good choice .

Thanks for the suggestion . :)

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 06:21:19 PM »
  Years ago I used  " Plumbers goop" adheseve and clamped the magnet back in where it was ,  Then I drilled and countersunk 8 holes in the flywheel outside circumference that allowed 8/32 countersunk screw heads to push through the holes and pass through to   the tips   ( or sides ) of those curved magnet shoes . then had a very experienced welder , tig the screw ends to the tip of the pole pieces  ( all of then ) Sorry I don't have photo ,   did'nt get hot where the glue was ,so it worked out with out issue ;D ,   I have 57 scooter manual with magnets on alternate position also but all my phelon mags have the magnets symetrical ,   Only two magnets in the right place are needed for spark    the other two augment ( I love that word ,,,, been wanting to use it all week ! ) the lighting output  ,,  I'm sure couterweight is on opposite side .

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 12:15:35 AM »
Hey is the Phelon magneto the same size as the wilco one??? and by the way that bike looks to be in great starting condition alot better than others of the same age.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 11:07:33 AM »
Larry ,

Your screw addition sounds like a very permanent solution .

"Only two magnets in the right place are needed for spark  "

Of course , you are right . Reading that resurrected knowledge from my past . I'm certified by Briggs & Stratton for their small motor repair . The flywheels they use only have a pair of magnets .  As many motors as I've had apart over the last 50 some years , I'm kind of embarrassed that I didn't recall that little fact .

oil-lamp ,

I would think the Wico and Phelon magnetos would be similar in size . But , I can see from the diagrams that Wico has different coil mounting and the points are in a different position . Both seem about 90° clockwise compared to the Phelon .

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 04:06:08 PM »
The reason I ask about the size is that I had picked a flywheel up that is smaller than the one I have on my bike. I was thinking I could find something for it to do besides hanging out in my barn. Oh well back in the box it goes. :'(

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 06:14:33 PM »
If my memory is correct , the Wico flywheel is about 2 pounds heavier   ( mostly Zinc )   Phelon flywheel is about 5 pounds ,   mercury outboard guys have same trouble with magnets falling off  ,,, especially when  "banged " or shocked    Phelon mags have alnico magnets that are sweat brazed to the flywheel ,  Alnico cannot be drilled ( too hard )   and too much heat removes the magnetic " hootsewhatsees"  I'm thinking about removing all the magnets on a damaged flywheel and attaching rare earth magnets for more punch,,,,,,   Larry.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 06:38:59 PM »
Looking at the diagram of the Wico wheel , I see a bunch of counter weight . Does the Wico wheel have any 'drill divets' for balancing like the Phelon wheels ?

" I'm thinking about removing all the magnets on a damaged flywheel and attaching rare earth magnets for more punch,,,,,,   Larry."

I think you should do that tomorrow . Don't forget to post before and after pics , along with the amount of gained 'punch' . ;)

Seriously , I'd be very interested to see the results of that experiment . :)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 08:14:18 PM »
Looking at the diagram of the Wico wheel , I see a bunch of counter weight . Does the Wico wheel have any 'drill divets' for balancing like the Phelon wheels ?

" I'm thinking about removing all the magnets on a damaged flywheel and attaching rare earth magnets for more punch,,,,,,   Larry."

I think you should do that tomorrow . Don't forget to post before and after pics , along with the amount of gained 'punch' . ;)

Seriously , I'd be very interested to see the results of that experiment . :)

Yes, the Wico flywheels have "drill divets".

Finding flywheels is a problem.  Wayne has told me he is looking for a solution, but so far, no dice.

Rick
Rick