Author Topic: 2 Simplex projects  (Read 30894 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
2 Simplex projects
« on: February 13, 2011, 08:56:04 AM »
Hi, name is Rick.  I have been restoring and drag racing aircooled VW's for the past 25 years.   I decided it was time for a change and have sold most of my VW stuff and bought 2 servi-cycle projects.

1st up: a mostly complete 1953 automatic that will be restored to original.
2nd:  A parts 1949 model K that I'm thinking of doing a 3 wheel conversion on.

I'll post pics when I figure out how.  Bob, how about a tutorial on posting pictures?

Thanks for the forum!!
Rick

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
Re: 2 Simplex projects
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 12:18:56 PM »
Rick, When you click on reply and the message box comes up you will see a bar just above the message box.The first tab is to insert a flash and the 2nd tab will prompt you to insert a picture. Click that tab and then just under the message bar you will see Additional Options. Click that and you will prompted to browse for your photo. Either off photobucket or from your desktop. If you run into any probs I will either do a video or give more detailed instructions.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 01:10:39 PM »
Here we go, the 1953:
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 01:11:58 PM »
And the 1949 model K parts bike:
Rick

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 01:16:42 PM »
Rick are you going to build that motor yourself or send it off to be done?
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 01:55:23 PM »
Rick are you going to build that motor yourself or send it off to be done?

I'll build it myself.  I removed the bearings today, here is a pic of it in the oven.  I heated it for 15 minutes @ 400 degrees to expand the aluminum case, and they came right out.
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 02:01:56 PM »
Bob, did you notice the color of the fenders?  These were originally chromed fenders that someone had painted years ago. I sandblasted and cleaned them up with a flap disc, and you can still see the base copper.  I welded the couple of tears in them, and fabbed a piece to repair the botton of the rear fender.  Came out pretty decent.  A little polyester primer and block sanding and no one will ever know they were rusty and mangled at one time!
Rick

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 12:35:21 PM »
I see that Rick. The one I have in the shop is the same way. Chromed and painted black and now a mixture of chrome, rust and black. The back fender is a write off, but the front is excellent. I'm impressed on the motor. Not many fellows would be able to tackle that. I have been reading about them in an original repair manual and there are a lot of "tricks of the trade" you need to know. If my motor doesn't run properly I will send it to Wayne and let him do his magic on it.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 01:37:19 PM »
Wayne was the one who told me to heat the case so as not to crack it.  On old VW's, we do the same thing to put the crank distributor gear on the crank, hot gear on a cold crank goes right on.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 06:50:28 PM by RickS »
Rick

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 05:36:49 PM »
What about all the shims for the Simplex crank to have the proper amount of play?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 06:57:45 PM »
What about all the shims for the Simplex crank to have the proper amount of play?

Bob, when I disassembled the motor, the only shim is between the motor pulley and the stator bearing.  This is the only shim shown in the parts and assembly manual for a Model M. Maybe the earlier motors used shims because they used a tapered bearing?  I have a 1950 shop manual coming, so I'll check that when I get it.
Rick

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 08:14:34 PM »
Rick, Here are the two pages dealing with the shims. This is for a 1948 Simplex. I don't know if they would pertain to your model or not. I'm sure Wayne would know.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd149/bobgurkin/Simplex/simman1001.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd149/bobgurkin/Simplex/simman2001.jpg
This book has a lot of generic information in it. I should copy the darn thing. It shows aluminum leg shields and an aluminum and plex windshield for winter driving and a klaxon horn for $2 and some great looking saddlebags for $15.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 09:08:06 PM »
Bob, what book is that, and is it available?  The M motors use a different crankshaft setup.  There is no separate rotory valve, it is built into the crankshaft.  The bearings are also different.  I will post up a picture of the bearings tomorrow morning.

I just got another package of parts from Wayne today that I have not had a chance to open.  Sucks when work gets in the way!
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 07:14:17 AM »
Ok, I got the earlier manual, and here are the pictures of the crank assemblies.  The early has lot more parts, and the shims you speak of Bob, but the late does not.  A picture or two is worth a thousand words!

Rick

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 08:32:53 AM »
This is a manual I bought off Ebay. I know it's dated for 1948 so would think that it is for that year's production. However, there is much in the manual that would be applicable for all the engines. Removing carbon from the engine and exhaust header and how to get it out of the muffler and tailpipe. It's 90 pages and covers everything from the proper removal of the bike from the shipping container down to proper gas/oil mix. I have thought of copying it and making up some booklets, but it would be a ton of work. Anyway, here you go. If there is any particular part of the bike you need info about I would be happy to copy those chapters for you.
]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd149/bobgurkin/Simplex/simman42.jpg[url]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd149/bobgurkin/Simplex/simman41.jpg[/url]
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd149/bobgurkin/Simplex/simman7.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd149/bobgurkin/Simplex/simman5.jpg