Author Topic: 2 Simplex projects  (Read 30895 times)

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
Re: 2 Simplex projects
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 08:38:33 AM »
Dunno why this one didn't work. Let me try it again.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd149/bobgurkin/Simplex/simman42.jpg

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 08:43:11 AM »
Bob, did you buy that manual about 2 weeks ago?  If so, you outbid me!
Rick

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 12:37:50 PM »
LOL, thats the one :) When bidding on it I did not realize the amt of info in the darn thing. I've been looking about, but haven't seen another yet.

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 12:45:05 PM »
Rick, This motor has obviously been running, but the compression plate appears to be on it backwards. I bet it was a bitch to get started and make run smooth.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 12:54:33 PM by Bob Gurkin »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 08:08:10 PM »
Bob, I'd bet that motor has another compression plate facing the right way inside if it was running.  Did you get it yet? 

I knew that manual had some good info.  I'm going to try Gary W and see if he has copies of it available.
Rick

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 07:57:55 AM »
No, not yet. I spoke to the delivery company rep last night and they seem to be a kinda laid back group. The fellow I bought the bike from was telling me they have a 1917 Harley Davidson on the truck also. Anyway, they said they will be here sometime toward the end of this week or the first of next. I will get a 48hr and 24hr heads up on the delivery day. I'm really angsting over that bike and dread when something is not shipped crated up. However, bikes are all this company ships so it may turn out well.
If Gary doesn't have this book and you need it, I will put it up on photobucket for you. It would be about 47-49 shots. Might be a good idea to do it and put it up on this site for others to use. It does have tons of useful information about every piece of the bike and proper disassembly, ect.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 10:58:21 AM »
I started reassembling the motor for the '53.  I put in new bearings and installed the crank and rod.
Rick

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 02:23:29 PM »
It's looking so good Rick. I have finally finished the bike for my nephew, but a bout of double pneumonia has slowed me up some. I hope to get started on my bike by the end of the week.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 08:09:44 AM »
Well, I went to install the rod and piston today and found that someone had bored the pin .050 oversized, so I need to have a new bushing installed in the rod.  The old piston was a mess, someone had knurled the skirt and fitted the piston with a wrist pin that is twice the thickness of the new one.  They didn't even use a snap ring, they used teflon buttons to hold the pin in.

Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2011, 09:41:05 AM »
I finally got around to working on the 53.  I put the motor together, new piston, rod, bearings, ect.  She spins over nice a smooth!!
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2011, 09:43:05 AM »
I also rebuilt the automatic transmission.  New shoes, primary drive pulley and bearings.  The pulley was made by Wayne Mahaffey and is really nice.
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2011, 09:46:39 AM »
The chassis has been torn down, all the problems rewelded, the crash bars straightened, and the dents removed.  It is ready to go to the powder coater, along with all the bolt on parts such as front end, fender braces, seat pan, ect.

While I was at it, I have decided to add a front brake.  Wayne also supplied all the parts to make this happen.
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2011, 06:29:41 AM »
Got my frame and parts back from the powder coater.  I started to reassemble the bike, and now I have to get to the bodywork on the tins.

Rick

trooper82

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2011, 05:05:25 PM »
Wow Rick, looking really nice. What kind of shape are the tins in? Do you have all the parts to complete the build? Keep posting pics of your progress.

Mike

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2011, 07:09:38 PM »
The tins are not too bad.  I need to weld a few holes and tears in the rear fender.  I have already hammered the fenders back into shape.  The gas tank has one dent I need to remove.  I wish I had a stud welder, this would make it easier. 

I have most of the parts to finish the build.  The rims and hubs are at the powder coater now and should be done friday.  I have new stainless steel spokes for them, but I have never laced a wheel before.  This should be fun.

I'll keep updating my progress as I go.
Rick