Author Topic: bike stand  (Read 2388 times)

Pete57

• 1957 Simplex
    • View Profile
    • Email
bike stand
« on: November 27, 2012, 06:06:25 AM »
I managed to get a couple of rides in this summer. Blew out the rear inner tube on the second trip and thought I was going to have to order one and wait a couple of weeks for it to arrive. Turns out the local bicycle shop has 26X2 extra heavy duty inner tubes that work just fine. I was back on the road with 2 hours.

Its winter now so all the summer toys are put away and time to start working on the bikes. We have designed a stand to make working on the Simplex a bit easier. Picture is attached. Getting ready to mail my first parts list off to Wayne this week.

I have a question on the throttle stop. My bike has a spring attached to throttle stop. I don’t see a spring listed in any of the books. I am thinking it was installed to help return the throttle to idle because the cable is in really bad shape. Is there a spring or does the throttle return to idle by way of the cable?

Thanks,
Pete

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: bike stand
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 07:54:47 AM »
Nice looking bike!  

There is no spring for the throttle return.  The throttle stays wherever you put it; built in cruise control.

Your rear rack is mounted incorrectly, it should not be attached to the fender strut.  It attaches to the frame, using the same bolts as the fender strut, and both legs of the frame go to the same hole.  That will level out the rack.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 09:45:41 AM »
That is a nice bike . ;)
And , I like the wheel 'chocks' , too . Having the bike on a wheeled turnstile type stand is a great idea .

Here's a pic of the carb ( MT9B ) that came on my '57 :

There is a throttle return spring on the bottom of the shaft . That spring is a very lite weight spring and would not be able to pull a cable and twist grip back to idle position . None the less , there is a return spring .

I have a carb ( MT48A ) that came off a Cushman C that I use to have . It does not have any type of spring .
Here's a pic of that carb :

Pete57 ,

Can you post the model # and size of your carburetor venturi or at least an educated guesstimate  , Please ?
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 10:05:02 AM »
That is a nice bike . ;)
And , I like the wheel 'chocks' , too . Having the bike on a wheeled turnstile type stand is a great idea .

Here's a pic of the carb ( MT9B ) that came on my '57 :

There is a throttle return spring on the bottom of the shaft . That spring is a very lite weight spring and would not be able to pull a cable and twist grip back to idle position . None the less , there is a return spring .

I have a carb ( MT48A ) that came off a Cushman C that I use to have . It does not have any type of spring .
Here's a pic of that carb :

Pete57 ,

Can you post the model # and size of your carburetor venturi or at least an educated guesstimate  , Please ?

The MT9B is not the factory carb for Simplex, it is a carb for a Power Products engine, possibly from a bicycle engine kit, but more likely a mower or other such piece of equipment.

Simplex used a MT1 or MT22.  These carbs have no return spring on throttle shaft, but do have one on the choke.

Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 10:20:59 AM »
Thanks , Rick .

That's interesting . The bike did run pretty good with that MT9B carb .

I see some differences between the carb I have and the parts breakdown .

I'd still like to have some comparisons for what I have to what is suppose to be . Venturi size is likely the biggest difference , but jet and / or needle sizes might be different also .
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 10:24:26 AM by pd »
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Pete57

• 1957 Simplex
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 06:44:40 AM »
Thanks for the replies back! Not only is the rack incorrect, the throttle system is completly wrong. I am sending off my parts list to Wayne today. I have carburetor MT1D. My goal for this winter is to get the bike mechanically sound and as original as possible. New paint  maybe next winter. I kind of like the way it looks now so I might hold off for a few years. 

Pete

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 06:54:06 AM »
Pete, hard to tell from the picture, but I think that rack is correct, just mounted incorrectly.
Rick

Pete57

• 1957 Simplex
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 06:02:31 AM »
The carburetor is a MT1D , not sure of the venturi as I have not had the carb off yet. I will try to get it this weekend for you.

I think the previous owner of the bike had kids he would ride them around on the back. There were foot pegs and a small square seat on the rack when I first got the bike. He probally raised it so they could ride on the back with him.

I chated with Wayne yesterday and he has all the parts I need so far. Complete throttle system, new exhaust system, new choke cable, gaskets, springs, wires, carb kit, belts and tires just to get me started.
It's going to be a great winter working in the garage on the bike!
Pete