Author Topic: My New Find!  (Read 4446 times)

Dave Beck

• View Profile
    • Email
My New Find!
« on: December 09, 2012, 09:15:19 AM »
Hello Everyone,
My name is Dave  Beck and I live in Elk City, Oklahoma. I found a simplex that was stuck in the back of my friends garage in Charlette North Carolina. We are currently visiting the kids through Christmas. I think the bike I just got is a mismatch bike but I like the looks of it alot. I owned a 1956 automatic about 10 years ago but let a guy talk me out of it. I always enjoyed a put around the neighbor hood on the little bike. I own 3 harleys one of which is a 1962 panhead, but always on the search for another project. I have already talked to Wayne Mahaffey and he assures me that he should have most everything I need to restore the old gal except for a teardrop tail light, so if anyone has one or knows where I might pick one up at please let me know. I know the luggage rack is not correct so will either make a repo myself or get one from Wayne. All comments welocome.

Thanks for a great site and for sharing knowledge on these old machines.
Dave Beck 580-243-9008 cell
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 09:17:25 AM by Dave Beck »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My New Find!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 04:00:37 PM »
Dave, nice looking, complete bike.  Get that thing running and come join us in July in Portland, IN, for the Vintage Motorbike Club meet!!
Rick

Dave Beck

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 12:16:37 PM »
Well with the wonderful help of Wayne Mahaffey and quite a few dollars less in my account I have finally gotten the old bike finished. Just waiting for the weather to get better to go on the first ride. The bike runs nice.

I am attaching a few pictures, but before the purest get started I know it isn't the correct color and yes I know the wheels are supposed to be cream color, but I built this one the way I wanted it to look.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 12:33:24 PM »
Dave, looks awesome!  I don't think we have many purists around here.  We are more roll what you got types.

Why didn't simplex make the kickstands longer?  Everyone puts blocks under the kickstand because they look like they will fall over.

Who's to say what color is original;  simplex would paint the bike any color you wanted for an additional $5.
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 12:34:17 PM »
BTW, we expect to see you in Portland this summer!  Tom and I need more guys to ride with.
Rick

SIMPLEXUSA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 01:04:10 PM »
dave , looks like alot of parts are there.  I  just bought my first bike last week. mine is missing parts. the collective opinion is that mine is a 47or 48. yours looks to be the same? are you going to restore yours?  If you are, maybe you can take some close up pics. if you have any questions i will do the same. My motor is torn down already. the head is being machined now. (wayne m.)  We may be at the same pace? any how looks good.  Dan

Dave Beck

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 01:19:43 PM »
The top pictures were taken when I got the bike the last ones are of it finished
Dave

kjwiley

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 01:30:58 PM »
Very nice bike. Congrats on a well done project.

Ken

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 02:32:09 PM »
Nice and clean . And , it even looks like it's done right . ;)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 04:34:46 PM »
Very nice.  I'm like you, I'm waiting for warmer weather.  I used to have a '63 Duoglide a long time ago.  Bought it for $1800 & rode it for 2 years & sold it for $1800 & thought "wow, what a clever guy I am to ride that bike for for 2 years for free" (well, I did have to replace the clutch).  What a goof ball I was.....

What is the serial number on your crankcase?  I can't make it out.  I'd like to get you into the registry. 

hotrod

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 05:50:24 PM »
great looking bike

SIMPLEXUSA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 09:11:21 PM »
WOW, i missed finished pics.  awsome job!!!!

DustyGold

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 05:45:41 PM »
Is that horn original, or just a period piece, or maybe made by Simplex? I've been window shopping horn on the bay.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 07:37:34 PM »
The horn looks to be a Klaxon . Seiss also made a clamp on hand plunger Ahooga horn.
They are from the early 1900s  to about the 1930s .
Not OEM , as far as I know .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2019, 07:15:25 AM »
Dave that's a great looking bike! I'm sure not a purist, but I'd find it hard to find something about your restore that I object to. Great work.

It seems we are almost neighbors, just a half county separating Cordell from your location. I'd enjoy meeting you some time for coffee and conversation.

Rick C.