Author Topic: (Re)Building a Simplex.....Ideals?  (Read 3809 times)

BPerry2

• View Profile
(Re)Building a Simplex.....Ideals?
« on: October 13, 2011, 07:09:06 PM »
I recently purchased a Simplex bike that was in a little rough shape rust wise, but I didn't want to see the bike go into the scrap yard and get junked. The bike is missing the tank, is covered in a layer of rust like it has been in someones back yard for 40 years, and the crash bars have apparently lived up to their name sometime in the past. I managed to find a bare frame in good shape for a mere $50 so I believe combining the two with a little of fab work should make a fun bike to ride.

I removed the motor from the frame, and due to the weather it has seen is rusted beyond repair, so I will need to find a new powerplant. I'm thinking something a little nontraditional to the Simplex bikes, a 250+cc dirt bike engine. I'd like to shy away from the Briggs or Tecumseh pull start engines most people use. Maybe electric start but definitely a kickstart engine. Has anybody seen something used? Any suggestions on powertrain?

Since it won't be all original I'm not opposed to using non original parts, but would like to if I can get them at a decent price. Most stuff I can get fabbed by a couple friends using the existing parts I have, but I'll need to get a tank and would like to get one as cheap as possible.

So here are my needs, if you have any suggestions on the following I am all ears. I do have a vision in my head, but this is the first time I have ever seen one of these bikes in person, much less worked on one, so I could use the input from those with experience with Simplex bikes.

1. Engine
2. Tank
3. Headlight and tail light
4. Possibly new rims and tires (depends on drivetrain setup)
   along with other hardware, wiring, ect. That will be determined along the way.

BPerry2

• View Profile
Re: (Re)Building a Simplex.....Ideals?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 08:02:56 PM »
Some pics

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 11:16:51 AM »
Welcome, that is a real project you have there.  Finding a simplex motor is pretty difficult. When I was out in Portland this summer for the Vintage MotorBike show, there were plenty of stripped frames for sale, but I did not come across one engine for sale!

There is currently a Gas Tank for sale on Ebay, but they don't go cheap.  See here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Simplex-Servi-Cycle-Simplex-Automatic-Gas-Tank-Fuel-/140619914788?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item20bd999e24#ht_500wt_1188

As for other motors, I've seen plenty of Briggs or other mower type engine, but only a couple with a real motorcycle style engine.  See this thread for one:
http://www.simplexservi-cycle.com/index.php?topic=21.0

If you are not so interested in original, there is an excellent wheel option available in worksman HD bicycle wheels.  These are used by guys all the time on motored bikes.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

Rick

Rick

BPerry2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 06:37:58 PM »
Thanks for the info Rick, I'm gathering info and sorting out ideals. I'll definitely keep ya'll updated on whats going on.

trooper82

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 07:41:29 AM »
Welcome to the forum. I agree with Rick, gas tanks for the Simplex are available but aren’t cheap.

I got a repop headlight from Dennis Carpenter Cushman reproductions. Cushman used the same model headlight as the Simplex. They also have a web site with an on-line catalog.

For a tail light I used a repop 1930 Ford Model A tail light from Snyder’s but they are also available from Mac’s, Brattons, Speedway Motor’s, etc… I had to tweak the bracket just a bit and the tail light bolted right on.

Mike
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 05:41:40 PM by trooper82 »