Author Topic: Different Drive Systems  (Read 9355 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Different Drive Systems
« on: January 02, 2013, 08:18:15 AM »
With the talk of Trucks recently, I thought I would post the different drive systems used by Simplex.  First up is the earliest, 1949, which used a rocker clutch. This connected to a solid axle shaft to 2 pulleys to drive the rear wheels.  This allowed no differential action, which caused poor handling.

The following picture is the rocker clutch on Jim's truck.  The differential in this picture is not stock.

Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Different Drive Systems
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 08:23:42 AM »
The next system employed was an Auto clutch built by Salisbury, as used on snowmobiles and such.  This still used a solid axle to drive both wheels. Note the idler pulleys to tension the rear drive belts.

I believe this was only used in 1952.
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 08:29:16 AM »
1953 saw Simplex come out with their own Auto clutch, the same as used on the 2 wheel bikes.  I do not know how long they continued with the straight axle, but my guess is 1953 and 1954.

The following pictures are small and fuzzy, but were represented as a 1954 model.

Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 08:37:18 AM »
The last system Simplex employed has clutches on the outside of the driveshaft, to provide differential action.  The interesting part of this, is the clutches are the same as used in the auto transmission, just without the fixed pulley side. 

Pictures below are Bob's and Jim's late model trucks.
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 08:51:58 AM »
Lastly, I shall show a couple of different systems tried by Jim and I to provide differential action on Trucks that where either missing the original drives, or in my case, on my tribute bike.

On the orange bike, Jim used a differential from a ride-on lawn mower and attached a pulley to it.  He said it works well.

On the maroon bike, Jim took a different tack and used variable pulleys from a minibike style torque converter on the outboard ends of a solid drive shaft to provide slippage.  I have seen this operate, and while it works to move the truck, it leaves a lot of slop in the belts.  What Jim was trying to replicate was the factory style clutch action.

On my replica, the last one pictured, I took the Simplex idea of outboard clutches and used modern pulley clutches.  To accomplish this, I called Max-Torque, and had them build me clutches with very light weight springs, so they engage at 400 rpm.  This allows them to freewheel in turns when not on the throttle, yet lock up at low rpm to just crawl along.  I also have used a torque converter drive from the Honda clone motor, and this truck can really get up and go!

Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 10:17:06 AM »
Excellent , Rick . Thank You . :)

But , I'm curious about just how much 'get up and go' your tribute truck has . I don't recall seeing those stats in your tribute build thread .
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 10:32:02 AM »
Excellent , Rick . Thank You . :)

But , I'm curious about just how much 'get up and go' your tribute truck has . I don't recall seeing those stats in your tribute build thread .

It accelerates at 3-4 times the rate of my bike.  I haven't tried to ride it at top speed, because I just have cheap bicycle tires on it that I don't trust!!  Top speed on an original truck is maybe 30mph, after 5 minutes!!  LOL  I would estimate 35-40 mph without breaking a sweat on mine.  Come to Portland and take it for a spin.  I should have it finished by then.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 11:11:11 AM »
That kind of acceleration is exactly what's needed in today's kind of traffic .

You're adding more sweets to the Portland pot . I might just have to do that . ;)

chainmaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 09:32:16 AM »
I know it's an old post, but I wanted to say thanks for the great examples of the drive set ups.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 09:50:52 AM »
Chainmaker, show us your project!
Rick

chainmaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 10:15:50 AM »

I'm not working on a Simplex, I have a couple Whizzer projects I'd be happy to post but no simplex..I was just looking at the drive set up toying with the idea of a Whizzer trike somewhere down the road.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 11:14:48 AM »
Post up , chainmaker .

We might have or get and idea ...

Pete . :)