Author Topic: newbie looking for help  (Read 2298 times)

cotton

• View Profile
    • Email
newbie looking for help
« on: January 29, 2013, 06:16:01 PM »
Hi - I've been on this site a number of times but have never posted. I'm attaching 4 pictures of my first restoration.  This bike has a frame number of 11084.  I thought it was a 1955, but I could be wrong.  I could use some help determining what year it is.  I made the exhaust out of stainless steel and want to do the same on my second bike.  The second bike is what I believe is a 1941.  The last two pictures show it.  I need some help with the measurements of the size of the muffler if anyone has a single muffler from the 40s.  Could you please tell me the OD dimension and the length.  I've appreciated the great information I've found on this site in the past.  Thanks for any help.  Dwayne

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: newbie looking for help
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 06:56:02 PM »
That's beautiful!!  Have you ridden it yet?  Does it run as good as it looks?

Welcome aboard, and tell us a little about yourself.  Where do you live?

Rick
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 07:34:53 PM »
Very nice . ;)

Good job .
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 07:13:19 PM »
The serial number seems to suggest your bike is a late '55.  I am curious as it if it's made from parts from different bikes, or has been been mostly all together?  The reason I ask is in regard  to the handle bar mounting plate.  I thought they changed from the curved sides to the straight sides between '54 & '55 (I have never seen a '56 with curved sides).  The other thing is the straight seat spring.  Weren't they all barrel springs by '55?

Note that member Bill Marcum has bike No. 11035.

It looks really nice.  What motor number do you have?  What is the number on your older bike?

I'm in Fort Wayne, Indiana at the moment, so don't have access to more of my records (been here since Monday, doing an audit on a supplier).
Mike Sal

cotton

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 12:44:17 AM »
Thank's for the comments. Yep it runs great. I live in northeast ohio and there is a group of guys that have whizzers. They let me ride with them even though a simplex is way cooler then a whizzer. ;D A couple of sunday afternoons we road between 40-50 miles. I missed church those nights. :(  I found a picture of my bike before I started on it. The motor number is m19537b. I made the exhaust, replaced the tank and put new tires and spokes on it. The motor was in a box with a broken crank.Other then replacing the bolts with stainless that's about it. Also I have a picture with me pulling my son and new daughter in law on a pony cart at there wedding.I can't find a number on the older frame but added a picture.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 04:54:17 AM »
Are you coming to the VMBC meet in Portland in July?  Several of the guys from this site will be there.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 06:49:19 AM »
Look like you had a good time at that wedding .
And , the guy with the yellow tie wants a Simplex . ;)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

cotton

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 03:12:16 PM »
I hope to have my 41 running and maybe bring it to portland. I'll probably only be there one day. Is there a day that you do some riding? I think your right about the guy with the yellow tie. 

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 05:51:10 PM »
People ride around all day.  At night there is a parade around the fairgrounds, usually lasts about 1/2 hour or so.  The night ride is fun, as it is not a hot as during the day.
Rick