Author Topic: Sonrisers 55'  (Read 33298 times)

pd

• View Profile
Re: Sonrisers 55'
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 09:33:35 PM »
If you can make popcorn , you shouldn't have any trouble at all . ;)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 06:43:37 PM »
The plan is to get this thing running on Feb 1st. My wife is gonna be gone for the weekend to a church conference, and me and 2 of my brothers are gonna hit it hard. I didn't do a very good job of posting and updating in this build topic, but I hope to get a lot of pics. Everybody needs to be "on call" that day in case any emergencies arise.lol

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 09:22:09 PM »
I don't know how much help I'd be , but , like every other day , I should be around . ;)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 06:33:00 PM »
Well, I worked all day on the bike. Decided to disassemble and check bearings, and glad I did, the main bearing was in pretty bad shape. Put it all back together and put the flywheel and kicker on, and tried to spin it over and it is turning very hard, I can kick it over, but it shouldn't be turning that hard. Wondering if the kicker shaft is binding, or if something in the internals is wrong.It spins easier with your hand, but it still seems harder than I would think it should be. Pretty disappointed with  it right now, so I threw in the towel for tonight, it  will have to wait. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 07:15:07 PM »
Rick, I was at the parts house earlier when you gave me the numbers for the Main bearings, I wrote them down, but I guess I walked off and left it on the counter. The bearing I got was thinner then the one that came out, about 1/8", we drove it in til it seated and the crank spun all right. I found an earlier post talking about some models having the thinner bearings, but for the life of me I can't find it now. I think pd and you were talking about it. If you get a chance, can you repost the size of all the bearings? Thanks, James

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2014, 07:27:50 PM »
Just found the post, and I did get the wrong bearing, It should be a 5205, not a 6205, If I had went to the next page, I would have found out that a typo was made. Oh well.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2014, 04:00:29 AM »
Just found the post, and I did get the wrong bearing, It should be a 5205, not a 6205, If I had went to the next page, I would have found out that a typo was made. Oh well.

James,

I edited the post with the typo a long time ago. I will go back and take out the part about the typo in PD's post so it doesn't create confusion for others.

There are 2 different size bearings used, depending on the year.  The earlier Model M used the wide, 20.5 mm, and the later Model M used the 15mm.  I have not nailed it down to the exact change over point, but I would guess around 1955-1956.

6205 is 15mm wide
5205 is 20.6 mm wide
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2014, 07:30:27 AM »
Well just got the call from Wayne yesterday on the two cylinders I sent him. New pistons one new rod (old one bent) new crank bore job ect. Will be on the road for under $700.00 but I will have two running.

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2014, 10:55:03 AM »
Thanks Rick, when I got on the forum yesterday to find the bearing size, I was scrambling, and just scanning over everything in the search, if I had went to the next page, I would have seen the right size...the parts house didn't have the right size anyway, but I did find it on the website you listed. Is there anyway we could start a topic that just has specs like that in it w/o everything else mixed in? I think that would be really helpful in finding part sizes and other specs. This forum has a wealth of info, but specific things are is hard to find sometimes. Thanks for everything, James

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2014, 11:39:20 AM »
James, that is a good idea.  One of these days, I will try to put something together.  I know people keep asking about belt sizes also.
Rick

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2014, 05:25:43 PM »
Finally figured out why it was spinning so hard. It would spin fine til I put the mag plate on. Apparently there is suppose to be a bushing on the long bolt that bolts the back plate on. I didn't have one on it and when I would tighten it down it was binding and not letting it turn over right. Then I had some wires dragging on the inside of flywheel also. I don't have all the original clips to tie them down. Don't have any spark yet, but at least it is turning over now. Is there anything that holds the mag plate bearing in place? I can slide it in and out, I can put it back in place after mounting, but I don't know if it will stay in place. Also It shows a spring behind the point cam... in one of the diagrams I saw...I don't have this is this something I need? Wayne never mentioned it when I talked to him.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2014, 06:20:46 PM »
Yes, you need the spring. The spring holds the bearing in place.
Rick

old servi

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2014, 09:04:22 PM »
On the older engines, there is a screw under the engine that holds the mag bearing in place.

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2014, 06:15:09 PM »
I got a call from my brother tonight, and he said he couldn't get the bike to fire with the original points set up, but put the nova 2 ignition module on and is firing....must have had something grounding out with the points and condenser. Is the spring behind the cam something I can find or do I have to get one from Wayne?

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2014, 06:33:12 PM »
Is there any kind of stop on the kicker? When I put the kicker and spring on, it works great, but the spring wants to pull the kicker back around into the pinion gear???