Author Topic: Sonrisers 55'  (Read 33240 times)

pd

• View Profile
Re: Sonrisers 55'
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2014, 06:42:13 PM »
Not sure about the timing cam spring , but you must have the kicker spring on backwards . It's suppose to bring the kick lever forward to the stop , keeping it away from the pinion gear .
Can you post a pic of how you have it set now ?

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2014, 08:39:19 PM »
Or you may have the spring wound up backwards. 

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2014, 04:51:49 PM »
Ok, there seems to be 2 different ways the spring can go on, but is there  suppose to be a tab or something that keeps the kicker from being pulled forward after it is started? Kicker has plenty of return from the spring, but the arm wants to fall forward into the pinion gear. I want to take pictures, but I keep forgetting to take the camera when I go to work on it. I can rig up something and weld it on,  but I would like to keep it original.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2014, 06:15:17 PM »
The spring 'finger' goes through the small hole just below the kicker pivot rod . The hook goes around the back side of the kick 'lever' .

Yes . There's suppose to be a stop .

Maybe this will help :

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 06:16:09 PM by pd »

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2014, 03:30:17 PM »
Well, another day spent and still not running. Problems everywhere I turn. Put the sediment bulb on and turned on the gas, and fuel started pouring out, after messing with that for 2hrs trying to get to seal, I finally threw it aside and rigged up a fuel line w/o a shut off. Put gas in and fuel started pouring out of the carb. Took the needle valve out and messed with that for another hour and finally got the float working, but still can't get it to start. Got spark, but it floods almost immediately. I'm about to throw in the towel. Anything else I've ever worked on getting spark was the hardest part, but after that it would usually start up even if t wasn't running right. If it keeps going this way, you may be seeing a pretty yellow and black bike that has good spark, but don't run... come up for sale >:(

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2014, 03:51:29 PM »
Patience , my good man , patience . ;)

It's just a machine . It'll run . Set the float and needles properly . It may take a bit of play to get it right .

I had to do a bunch of kicking before mine started .

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2014, 06:41:55 PM »
You are trying the first start with no belts on the motor. Also have a fan close by for cooling and start with all set screws 1/4 open and open slowly.

Try this one on for size. Try getting a box of wrong parts and then waiting several more days to get the right parts. The waiting is killing me.  ???

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2014, 07:01:51 PM »
Good advice , Reese .

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2014, 12:21:47 PM »
That makes a lot of sense. I think I am gonna take the belts and transmission off,  that will also make it easier  to work on the carb. Thanks.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2014, 04:30:40 PM »
I've made a heavy wire "hook" to undo the spring which tensions the belt to the motor when tinkering with it.

Don't be afraid to set the float a little lower that the manual says.  Also, don't be afraid to loosen the screws to the compression plate to let excess fuel to drain out.  You'll be surprised how many times you'll have way too much fuel gather in the bottom of the crankcase while your fine tuning it to run well.
Mike Sal

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2014, 06:56:41 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. What happened with your parts Reese?

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2014, 07:18:20 PM »
My parts got sent to a guy with a 49 just southwest by 118 miles. Wayne crossed our labels and I got his and He got mine. He is not a member yet but I ask him to check us out. I wished I wrote his motor number down while I had it in my hands.

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2014, 07:40:57 PM »
That stinks...but maybe we can gain another member from it. What all did you order? is Wayne installing everything, or are you doing it?

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2014, 07:56:08 PM »
He re-worked two cylinders that needed new pistons, one rod was bent the other to loose. He fixed one flywheel and I got a new crank, gaskets, bearings, exhaust manifold, and a few extras. Not much.

old servi

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2014, 09:26:42 PM »
Cut the gas off and buy a can of starter fluid. Do no turn the gas on and spray a little starter fluid into the carb. Kick it a few times. You should get a fire up with the starting fluid. It will not continue to run, just a fire up for a few seconds. Do it several times and then your engine should be cleaned out ready to use the gas into the carb. If it is flooding, could be the float level or the needle valve that the float opens for gas to come in, not the adjusting needle this time. Then adjust the screw in needle valve to get the right mixture.