Author Topic: Sonrisers 55'  (Read 32859 times)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sonrisers 55'
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2014, 07:32:38 PM »
Not sure what inserts you started with.  Heli-coils?  From there you can go to a Keen-Sert. What size is the bolt?

1/4-20 ???  Call me.  I have some ideas.

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2014, 08:22:36 PM »
Somebody had drilled out the holes where the studs thread into. I found some inserts that I thought were self tapping and I ended up drilling out the holes more than I should have to get them to fit. I also put some jb weld on them, but with all the stress the kicker puts on them it didn't hold. I think the holes are too big for a heli coil now, but I have never used them before. I will try calling tomorrow some time, what is a good time to call you Tom?

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2014, 02:32:22 AM »
After work so maybe 6pm or so.

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: June 28, 2014, 05:23:49 PM »
Took the Simplex thru a parade where we were popping kettle Korn....WHAT A BLAST!!! Something that everyone should do. Lots of comments and lookers.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: June 28, 2014, 05:52:28 PM »
How did it run?  Did you find any more power?
Rick

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: June 29, 2014, 12:39:32 PM »
Ran good, didn't have any more power, and seemed to be getting pretty hot. Plan on talking more about it in Portland with you guys that are going. Check this out....https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=802824019729321&set=vb.123955000949563&type=2&theater&notif_t=like

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: June 29, 2014, 01:18:07 PM »
James, that is awesome!  Love the horn.
Rick

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2016, 08:46:06 PM »
Hey everyone, haven't active on here for a while, wife's computer crashed and she has confiscated mine. The only way I can usually get on here is with my phone, and I hate using it to post and look around. Been really busy working on getting the ice cream shop ready for the reopening on March 25th.

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: April 12, 2016, 05:24:51 PM »
Finally found time to work on the simplex. I have been wanting to add head and tail lights without adding a battery. after hours of research on the internet, I finally found a youtube video of a guy changing the flywheel and adding a lighting coil. The guy said to find a flywheel off of a baja minibike like are sold at farm stores. after finding a guy on ebay that had bought a truckload of baja mini bikes that were store returns, I bought the whole kit for $60. When I recieved the flywheel, it didn't fit, the crank shaft taper was to small. After lookinga at it I realized that everything else was identical, so I removed the magnets from the new flywheel and drilled 2 holes in the original, and I now have power. several places on the internet say that there are 2 different sizes of crankshafts on the predator motor, but said if you have a Hemi style motor, it is the right size for the baja. From everything I have read, I have the hemi style motor....but the flywheel still didn't fit. I ordered 2 1156 led bulbs off of ebay for $8.... and 2 1157 led bulbs off of the web for $3. I wanted to buy the cheapest I could find in case it didn't work. I ground the tits off of the 1157 bulb, and then used the 3 keyhole flange off of one of Waynes headlight bulbs that I had broken...soldered the flange onto the new led bulb so I didn't have to grind out the headlight reflector....the 1156 bulbs fit right in the taillight sockets. the 1157 bulb isn't very bright, but it works for now til I cand find another brighter version. the tail light seems to be bright enough.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: April 12, 2016, 06:32:14 PM »
James, that headlight is many magnitudes brighter than a stock simplex.  Nice job! And you said you were no mechanic.  Lol. Post a picture of the modified flywheel, if you have one.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 13, 2016, 07:42:49 AM »
James ,

Here's a read that might help in your search . It has comparison pics to show differences and the author relays accurate specs .

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/light-tech.187627/

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 13, 2016, 09:37:26 AM »
Really nice job on the LED setup...well done! RC

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: April 17, 2016, 05:53:40 PM »
Here is some pics of the flywheel that was the wrong size. I removed the magnets from this one and added them to the original flywheel off of the predator 212 motor. The process was very simple, I just put the 2 flywheels together and marked the location, drilled and countersunk the holes so the bolt was buried. I also used the jb weld 2 part epoxy that dries clear and glued the magnet in place, then bolted them in like the original. There is 2 wires coming off of the charging coil....one goes to the power the lights and the other I grounded to a bolt on the flywheel housing. I forgot to take pics of the other flywheel before I put it back on and covered it up. I just used my drill press in my wood shop....like I said before very simple, and seems to be working fine. I was wondering about balancing, as there were holes drilled in the flywheel that I'm assuming were for balancing, but seems to be working ok.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2016, 06:48:52 PM »
Good question about balance.  I wonder if a local machine shop could balance it for you.
Rick

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: June 12, 2016, 07:24:02 PM »
I was able to get the kettlekorn Express out for the cruzin Clarinda show and shine and parade event last Saturday. It was the first year for the show and shine and there was about 180 cars, tractors, trucks and motorcycles that showed up. Needless to say, I was the only Simplex in the whole bunch. If I could get you guys to travel to Iowa next year, it will be a lot more fun, lol. The last month has been a long hard and stressful month. On May 10th my father inlaw passed away from cancer and 15 hours later I got the news that my 26 year old son died from an accidental overdose. we were gonna try to go to portland and get back in time to pop corn at a huge event, but decided the we are gonna skip that and go to Portland. WWe are planning on showing up on Monday so we can look around and have some fun. We won't be setting up the kettlekorn til Thursday, so I hope everybody else is able to show up early so we can spend some time together before we set up the popcorn. Hoping to have another good turn out for the group photo.