Author Topic: Sonrisers 55'  (Read 32860 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sonrisers 55'
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2014, 03:28:41 PM »
You need part #5809, 18 of them to be exact. They are 1/4" wide spacers to move the sheave out. I'm sure Wayne would have them, and order the longer bolts from him while you are at it.  If you want to make your own, you could cut them from some tubing on a lathe.

PD, you beat me to it. I was looking up the number also! 
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2014, 05:22:11 PM »
I have the M Manual on a shortcut , so I can get to it a bit quicker . ;)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2014, 07:54:08 PM »
I took the sheave off and put 1/4" nuts in behind it, put the wheel back on and it seems to be tracking a lot better. I think I'm gonna call the project good til Portland. Still not running perfectly, not a lot of power, still missing a few things I hope to pick up in  Portland. I'm to the point of "Jimmy Rigging" things b/c of lack of funds and knowledge. I think I will wait til Portland and get some advice from the experts. I now have to get busy on a hope chest that needs to be designed and built by by June for a wedding.

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: April 12, 2014, 06:55:25 PM »
Well I just couldn't leave it alone....I took it to the shop today and got the luggage rack bent and formed to the bike and while I was there, we tinkered with the carb and got it running a lot better. Still hard to start, but it is running better. I still have the rigged up "drill starter" on it. The last time I put the pinion gear on, I bruised the back of my thigh on the seat from kicking the darn thing so much. Rode it several times today, and my wife even took it for a spin.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2014, 08:21:11 PM »
"The last time I put the pinion gear on, I bruised the back of my thigh on the seat from kicking the darn thing so much."

Now you know why the right side of my seat is 'worn' through . ;)

Pete . :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 07:12:18 PM by pd »
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2014, 07:27:55 PM »
Took the Simplex to the Easter dinner this weekend. All who were brave enough went for a short ride and had a blast. 2 Grand kids, Step son and my father inlaw.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2014, 06:40:48 AM »
Looking good.  8)

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2014, 07:45:27 PM »
Wanting to get the seat recovered. I have seen on here that others recommend heathers leathers, but can't seem to get a response from them through email. Tried calling a couple times tonight, but it gives me a busy signa, was hoping for voice maill. I got the email and ph # off their web site. Does anyone have their contact info and when is the best time to contact? What is the turn around? I see on the site it should cost about $185 to get it covered, Is this the going rate??? Or are there other charges I'm not seeing?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2014, 04:42:54 AM »
James, that is the going rate.  The only option I took was an upgraded foam.  He said a stiffer foam holds the shape better over time.  I think is was something like $20.

Just a though, but this weekend was the AMCA show in Oley, PA.  There is a chance he might be there.  I think he is just a one man operation.
Rick

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2014, 04:00:50 PM »
I was able to get a hold of them the other day, I think I am gonna go with the standard, but with that sunburst color...kind of darker around the edges. I am hoping I can get the funds before Portland, otherwise I'll have to wait til we get further into the popcorn season. It has been a long, hard winter.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2014, 05:32:20 PM »
I was able to get a hold of them the other day, I think I am gonna go with the standard, but with that sunburst color...kind of darker around the edges. I am hoping I can get the funds before Portland, otherwise I'll have to wait til we get further into the popcorn season. It has been a long, hard winter.

I think that is the color I have on my blue bike.  I like the way it highlights the edges.
Rick

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: May 18, 2014, 04:36:38 PM »
I actually put the real kicker on the simplex today and started it up in 2 kicks.  I have been starting it with a drill since I wore a hole in the back of my leg when I was trying to get it started the first time. Still have a few odds and ends to finish it up, but hope to get the rest of the parts while at Portland. Seat is gonna be shipped off to get covered in a couple of weeks, then We'll be set. Took  it for a ride today, and had my phone with a speedo app.....20 mph was top speed. Is that about par, or should It be faster??

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2014, 04:40:48 PM »
I actually put the real kicker on the simplex today and started it up in 2 kicks.  I have been starting it with a drill since I wore a hole in the back of my leg when I was trying to get it started the first time. Still have a few odds and ends to finish it up, but hope to get the rest of the parts while at Portland. Seat is gonna be shipped off to get covered in a couple of weeks, then We'll be set. Took  it for a ride today, and had my phone with a speedo app.....20 mph was top speed. Is that about par, or should It be faster??
An automatic should get up close to 40.  I really need to run mine out on a flat road with a chase vehicle to find out for sure.  At Portland, they have that nice road right next to the fairground, we should test it out!  LOL
Rick

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: June 01, 2014, 12:49:49 PM »
I am starting to see quite a bit of sediment in the fuel bulb, I thought I had the tank cleaned pretty good, and didn't think I needed to seal it, Hope that wasn't a bad idea. I am finally gonna send off the seat pan tomorrow, can't wait to see what it looks like with a real seat.

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2014, 04:43:05 PM »
2 of the three inserts I put in the flywheel to hold the pinion gear on have come loose. one of them is still solid. The 2 that came loose, are so loose they don't thread in. I should have had someone who knew what they were doing fix it in the first place, but I am hoping I can use some jb weld to hold them in place for Portland, but I will eventually have to get it fixed right. Any other suggestions???