Author Topic: 56 with a Honda GC190 build thread  (Read 56717 times)

illMATTic

• View Profile
56 with a Honda GC190 build thread
« on: April 23, 2013, 08:05:08 PM »
Ok here is my official build thread. I have 80% of the parts now so I figured it was time. I plan to mock everything up, build it, and make it ride-able before I get into paint.

Here are a few pics as of tonight. I have a roller (kinda) with an engine in it. More details to follow.  ;D

Pics are big. You should all have a wide monitor by now.  ;)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 56 with a Honda GC190 build thread
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 08:59:49 PM »
Looking good!  Why did you go with a whizzer sheave and not the simplex part?  Are you looking for higher gearing?  Does the brake rod clear the motor when the flywheel is on?
Rick

illMATTic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 05:07:55 AM »
Looking good!  Why did you go with a whizzer sheave and not the simplex part?  Are you looking for higher gearing?  Does the brake rod clear the motor when the flywheel is on?

I am working with what I have. The sheave came with the bike. I do not have the stock brake rod. It looks like the PO planned on running a cable and has modified some things.

illMATTic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 07:10:57 AM »
I used a Worksman rim in the front with a drum brake. I upgraded the 3/8 axle to a 12mm axle with sealed bearings. There are various moped sites that offer these items. I then had to figure out how to mount the axle in the front fork levers. The levers had a 14mm hole in them. I was digging through some of the parts drawers here at work and came up with these small bushings. They were very close in size. I only had to take off .5 mm to get them to press in.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 07:53:39 AM »
Seems you're getting a pretty good handle on it , Matt .

I like that front hub .

Looks like you'll need a belt tensioner if you use what's there now and leave them as they are set . That should be a fairly easy thing to come up with . Just dig through those parts draws a bit more ... ;)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

illMATTic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 08:01:28 AM »
I think I will add a tensioner and a longer belt. It will give me room to adjust the wheel properly as well as find the best drive pulley.

I work at a John Deere dealership so all the belts and such are on hand.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 08:21:30 AM »
I'd bet there's everything you need for that tensioner mod right at your finger tips .

Probably want to paint it black though , unless you plan on John Deere Green for you bike . :D
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 10:18:34 AM »
During the holidays the local paper will print "letters to Santa" that the young kids write at school.  A neighbor kid who lives down the road wrote ".....and I want some toy tractors, NO green." (his family uses International Harvestor equipment).  I thought to myself that if a city person read that letter they would have no clue what the kid meant.
Mike Sal

illMATTic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 06:47:48 PM »
I plan on trying my hand at covering the seat pan. I picked up this 6oz hide on ebay. I also have some dye (saddle tan), finish, and thread to sew it up. There is enough to do two seats here. I have about $100 into it all.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 08:26:02 PM »
I plan on trying my hand at covering the seat pan. I picked up this 6oz hide on ebay. I also have some dye (saddle tan), finish, and thread to sew it up. There is enough to do two seats here. I have about $100 into it all.

Are you going to rivet it on like a stock seat?
Rick

illMATTic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 07:51:01 AM »
Thats the plan.  ;)

illMATTic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 06:32:02 AM »
After seeing that Simplex speedo on ebay I decided to find one for mine. It's a non original unit. I picked this one up for a song. It is in premo shape.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 06:59:51 AM »
That's sweet!  Did Stewart Warner build the originals for Simplex?
Rick

illMATTic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 07:11:35 AM »
I am not sure on that. The Simplex speedo on Ebay was a bit toasty. It went to $96 without meeting the reserve. It looks similar to this one as far as shape.

I hope I have enough cable here to fit. If not, I can run it on one of my old bicycles.

ltcps

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 06:18:52 AM »
Slightly different problems with my slanted cylinder 212cc Honda clone because of clearance issues so I decided to try to find a chain/drum rear wheel.

Like the drum front wheel idea though. What part number did you order for the Worksman wheels? I thought about the 77A for the front and 77AR for the rear but no real info is available for them.

Thanks

Tom