Author Topic: 56 with a Honda GC190 build thread  (Read 56713 times)

pd

• View Profile
Re: 56 with a Honda GC190 build thread
« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2013, 02:40:28 PM »
I don't recall just what the diameter of the OEM cover is . Can some one please measure one and post it ?
I'd measure myself , but my bike is currently a little over 1100 miles away . :(

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

illMATTic

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 21, 2013, 01:59:02 PM »
I have to admit , the pot idea occurred to me as well . I think that if a guy could find the right sized salad bowl , preferably in stainless steel ...

I also eyed one of my stainless bowls. I have the right size but it has the stamped bottom. There was no way to make it look good without hammering it smooth. At that point you may as well make one.

Driver

• someday...
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2014, 09:42:52 PM »
Lots of angry wemin' out there when the redneck engineering gets into full swing and their AllClad cookware goes missing. :)
jack of all trades, master of none...

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2014, 03:05:36 PM »
illMATic, Hey I've been working on the bike and making some headway. I have got the front wheel a little better centered and the break too where I hope not to need that clamp. That clamp was bending the tube that it was attached too. I've got a kick starter for it and mounted but I still need to space it out and give it a stop. I would like to put a jack shaft high to drive too but the carburetor in in the way. Also I'm still looking for a cover for the flywheel. Still in line to be done changing too Simplex throttle assy, double the seat springs, figure out what all I want to do about the lighting, then paint and chrome everything, and whatever else I find. Heres a couple of pics.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2014, 04:28:57 PM »
Hey Reese, is that Wayne's kickstart kit?  Does it bolt right up on the GC motor, just like the GX and clone motors? 
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2014, 06:41:52 PM »
Yes it is Wayne's kit! Do the GX and Clone motors need such a wide gear? I am going to cut it down as soon as I find just how much I can do without.  Now this frame has been modified before I got the kit so I just bolted it under the motor that was there. I guess this kit has to be wielded in on a standard mod cause its just a flat plate with a shaft wielded under it and a custom kicker. I bartered it from Wayne at Portland and finily getting some time to work with it. Rick do still have a extra headlight bucket with the hole you want to part with?  ???

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2014, 06:51:48 PM »

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2014, 09:03:09 PM »
I don't know 10inches is a little large. I have a local second hand store looking for a cooking pot to use. I did however start the engine using the kick starter today. I do need to mount a stop and find a place to hook the spring to. I did however find a way to overcome old age belly on the seat spring, but I can not tell you till it has been finalized tomorrow. Thanks for showing me that cover.  8)

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2014, 07:12:29 AM »
Well I thought I found and fixed the reason the tire rode left of center but I was wrong. What I did helped but the main cause was a broken weld just under the spring at the finder mount bracket. It waoud be just fine then after you moved the bike flop there goes the tire. Well aren't we having fun now. ::)

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 29, 2014, 01:16:01 PM »
Just a Simplex way of keeping life a bit more interesting , Reese . ;)

Goes around , Comes around . :)

illMATTic

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 03, 2014, 07:32:24 AM »
Reese, I am glad you are able to put some time into it.

Regarding the front tire... I see you found the jam nuts I purchased. Even with those you can not keep the tire straight?

One thing you may check is where the axle bolt tightens to the fork dropout. Those bushings I put in there could be a thousandths wide and not allowing you to bite on the dropout all the way.

When you torque down the front axle be sure you are not loading the suspension. I noticed this was happening just about every time I tightened the axle. I thought that if I held the jam nut while tightening I could make it work.

Good luck. 

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: October 03, 2014, 12:24:09 PM »
illMATIC,  Those jam nuts were hard to find in metric but i did find them in this hic town i live in. I replaced the Springer tube with one that was not broke and im fixing the other one. I'm trying to put a jackshaft on to clean the left side up and reworking the muffler. Question how did you make that flex tubing stay on the solid pipe. Dang I cant get it off!

Reggie LeGros

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2014, 05:03:18 PM »
how are you today?  i have been keeping up with your posts on the Honda GC 190..  i am planning on building a similar bike with a 48 model.  I would like for you to send me all the pictures that you can concerning the engine and CVT mount.  my email is reggie.legros@yahoo.com

Thanks
Reggie
Hello everyone,
Glad to see someone start a new Simplex site.  The old Simplex Collectors site just quit.
I own 3 Simplex Motorcycles:1948 I just completed restoration, 1953 basket case,1956 Restored currently in a museum. I also restored a James ML and a 1954 Triumph Terrier.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: October 14, 2014, 07:00:42 PM »
Will do Reggie, I havn'tdone much lately except trying to mock up a cover for the flywheel. I am also trying to do my jackshaft in about the same place as the transmission rides and trying to put the muffler back up front. Basically trying too fool the experts out there. If all goes well I will be making first cuts on the copper this week.

illMATTic

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 16, 2014, 11:34:31 AM »
Reese, you mean you didn't use the jam nuts I gave you?  :o

The flex tube was actually just slipped over the pipe. I didn't secure it with anything.

What was wrong with the forks? Were they broken?