Author Topic: Stretched and Lowered  (Read 52105 times)

Bruce

• View Profile
Re: Stretched and Lowered
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2013, 05:54:11 AM »
I think if you do this and dont use a custom tank...it wont fit properly? you lifted the bars by bending up over the tank..true?

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2013, 09:22:04 AM »
I did build my own tank but it closely resembles a Simplex tank. (there are pics on here)
I have had it mocked up and have plenty of room for a 5hp Briggs between the spark plug and fuel tank. Plus I am not using the mounting method that Simplex used to mount the tank originally.  I will try to get some pics up soon.

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2013, 01:11:59 PM »
okay..I looked closer and I see where you heated the bars up by the top...your bike looks good...do you have a cheap chrome shop nearby or something? Here in CT that woulda been expensive

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2013, 06:11:47 PM »
Not cheap chrome but a very nice job.  7 layers or something like that. (Browns out of Kentucky. They were great to business with) I had to heat the bars so I could realign the pipes at the rear dropouts. Otherwise they actually crossed after I extended them. Plus the radius of the bends at the front differed from my '48 and I had actually made the tank before I bought my frame so I used the radius of my '48 to fit my tank up to. The '52 frame had a tighter radius and opening it up a bit helped it all work out.

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2013, 06:41:17 PM »
Nice job.....any new pics?

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2014, 05:37:16 AM »
Here is a shot of the tank installed. Shows ample room to get at the spark plug.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2014, 05:59:39 AM »
OK.  So to prove I have not been slacking off on my custom( now affectionately referred to as the 'S2') here is what I have been up to! After hours upon hours of researching the web I realized I would never find a hub that would truely satisfy me. Even bought a few but either they were undernourished in some way or dimensionally didn't fit. So to the lathe I went! This hub has sealed ball bearings. 1 3/8" OD X 5/8 bore. I have a 5/8 shaft through them with a tube in between the bearings to keep the inner races from trying to squeeze together when the wheel is tightened in the forks. Stainless washers for spacers and stainless outer washers are 'doweled' to the dropouts on location with each other with reference to the springer pivot bolts. I had to make the mandrel to spin the hub up on and it will be used for the rear hub as well.

Also looked at tire after tire after tire. This one has a wire bead and has Kevlar threading. It is a 2.00" and in the end of the whole endeavor i am hoping to produce a speedway bike image coupled with Treens vision of beauty.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2014, 06:17:25 AM »
Next up the rear wheel.  Same story here. I can't even begin to tell you the countless hours I have spent looking for this guy!  But both front and rear rims have some fine qualities. Double wall. Stainless eyelets in the front one. The front one will be powder coated to match the rear and as soon as I get a hold of Wayne on the phone I will order up some spokes. Spokes are a whole 'nother story. I have followed several spoke length calculators and have machined the front hub with a flange diameter close enough to match up the ERD(effective rim dia.) to be able to use the stock front spokes of a Simplex. The rear will  most probably have to be threaded a bit more but there are a few bikes shops here in town that actually have spoke threading machines.( i was excited let me tell ya!)  The rim is 3" and the tire was advertised as a 3.45 but when installed actually measures about an 1/8" less. And the beauty is it looks like it is all going to fit!!!!

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2014, 06:29:13 AM »
Looks like some real nice work there , Tom .  But you might want to poke some holes in that rear hub for the spokes and it looks to me like you should install a head on that motor before you try a spark plug .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2014, 06:34:26 AM »
Also couldn't find the correct size bonded bushing to hold up the front of my tank. Sounds easy but couldn't manage it so made my own. 1 and 1/2" wide X .875" dia.  And then some sexy little screws to keep it all in tact!

butch27

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2014, 07:22:34 AM »
Wow--A lot of work,but it's going to be a beauty!

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2014, 05:30:08 AM »
I knew I didn't want to use regular bolts and let the seat pivot wear right on the threads so I found some stainless shoulder bolts.  These ones had large alan heads on them for a special application of some kind so I was able to machine the head down to give them a nice sleek button head look.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2014, 06:25:24 AM »
Tom, your work is awesome!  I wish I had the equipment and TALENT you have!
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2014, 07:56:01 AM »
Thanks for the bid of confidence guys. I am very fortunate to have the equipment at work at my disposal.  Lets me think outside of the box more often.  My lathe is the handiest thing ever but the mill at work is sure nice to have!  It's CNC so you just find a datum point and program what you want to happen. Works off of the cartesian scale.

Just got back from a trial run bending the exhaust.  Planning on stainless exhaust but using regular pipe for trial bends until i get all the angles right. I am determined to have this ride in Portland this year so I try not to go to bed each night with out doing something on it.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2014, 08:18:15 AM »
Made this clutch cover last night.  Didn't want the clutch shoes and springs exposed. Purely for aesthetics. And maybe my pant leg!!