Author Topic: Stretched and Lowered  (Read 51474 times)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Stretched and Lowered
« on: May 05, 2013, 02:37:59 PM »
So here is what I have been working on lately. I have added 6" to the upper tubes and 9" inches to the lower tubes. Engine plate is 1" closer to the ground which helped out with the kickstand 'lean' about right.  Made my own rear drop outs which will have the adjuster screws on the axle. I have just been tack welding everything for now until I get closer to the final mock-up. Taking the tank off though to final weld and then have it chromed. And maybe a few other parts. The front of the tank will be mounted with one of those bonded rubber bushings pressed into the tube there.  I used brushed stainless for the seat trim piece and I have contacted Heathers Leathers with a print so they know where I need the logo. I am just buying a piece of leather and will assemble the seat myself. There isn't any dishing to the pan so should be a piece of cake. I asked Wayne at Heathers Leathers if he had ever seen any original seats with out the logo and he said yes.

So.....what does everyone think so far?!

bill marcum

• View Profile
Re: Stretched and Lowered
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 03:33:21 PM »
looks good ,Ido not have enough room for the trans with the eng. that i am using I was thinking that if I strech mine enough I could use the stock tansmision. Bill Marcum 8)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 03:35:57 PM by bill marcum »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 04:23:26 PM »
Looking good Tom!  What engine are you planning on putting in?
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 05:07:42 PM »
6 & 9 inches?  I'm planning a stretched version to but wasn't thinking that far. I will be adding several inches to the forks but using a motor with a trans. Together.  You've got a good start so far I've not even started yet. I am still playing with the trailer to get them there.  ::)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 05:51:08 PM »
Still planning on running the 5hp Briggs. Looks to be the perfect amount of room now that I have removed the old tank mounting bracket. Should work out well for the jackshaft too. Really want the jackshaft so I can incorporate the disc brake on it. Planning on putting some vertical frame struts back in also. And hopefully a bobbed rear fender and maybe no fender on the front.  Too soon to tell yet though!

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 06:30:41 AM »
Interesting ... Looks rather uncomfortable , but , interesting none the less .

I do like your workmanship . ;)

Pete . :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 06:40:59 AM by pd »
Goes around , Comes around . :)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 03:34:40 AM »
I just confirmed the leather for my seat from Heathers Leathers. I thought it to be interesting how the logo is put on. He said the leather is place under the logo die and left under pressure for 24 hours. I guess that might be what it takes to keep it there. I have tooled some leather by hand just by a mallet and marking punches.  There a bunch of good guys there!

butch27

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 09:33:17 AM »
Great: I've wanted to extend mine for 2 years now.Does the stretch raise or lower the entire bike?

butch27

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 09:35:28 AM »
Did you have to heat and bend the tubes up by the gas tank??

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 10:03:18 AM »
Yes I did have to heat the frame tubes at the front of the frame as the extensions on the frame would actually cross each other if you don't.  I made new rear drop-outs but I was able to save the old ones and could have reused them. I used heavy wall tubing 6" long to join the extensions to the existing frame and drilled holes in the side of the tubing to plug weld through so I can keep the joining lines clean looking. Plus the tubing inside is hollow and I could run wires through it if I want to.  Frame tubing is 1" OD X .065 wall thickness so I used 7/8" tubing for to join to the frame with but had to skin it down to .855" to slip it inside of extensions and frame.  I set it all up to achieve some lowering and ended up with 1".  Everything is just tack welded until I finish mock up of side frame struts and jackshaft supports. Don't want to have to cut a lot of weld back off if I need to back up.

butch27

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 12:23:41 PM »
Thanks: I happen to have some 7/8"  that I made some radius rods for my "T" bucket. That'll work.

butch27

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 09:06:04 AM »
What is your wheelbase length NOW?

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 02:32:42 AM »
I'll measure the wheelbase on Monday.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 08:45:11 AM »
While you are measuring take one from motor mount to the bottom of the tank. Please

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 03:32:53 PM »
The wheel base on my 'stretch' is 56".  It measures 16" from the bottom of the tank to the motor plate and 5 1/2" from the motor plate to the ground.  I also measured my stock '48. It has a  47 1/2" wheel base and the motor plate is 6 1/2" from the ground.