Author Topic: First post  (Read 5079 times)

RodneyS

• It just fits
    • View Profile
    • Email
First post
« on: November 30, 2011, 05:26:35 PM »
Howdy.
      this is my first post. I recently purchased a Simplex Automatic that has been sitting in a barn in Oklahoma since 1966. It is fairly complete missing the brake return spring and air filter, which Wayne had and is sending to me,(thanks Wayne you are the Man.) Also had him send me a manual accordig to the number he said it was proably a 1954 or 1955 model.
     When I first got it last friday I took it to my brother Mike Storie a motorcycle mechanic of some fame arround these parts. He checked for compression which was good , but there was no spark. He cleaned the points and we had fire. then we put a little gas in carbruator and on third crank in started up for a moment. So now i will clean out the fuel system and put on new tires and see if it is as much fun as i think it will be.
   Looking into the fuel tank it was clean but had oil in the bottom , I guess he left it with fuel in it which evaporated away leaving the oil which preserved the tank and fuel system! When i get my camera back from daughter will post some pictures.
   Thanks for starting this forum. i have been a member of a couple of the motorized bike forums and had a lot of fun building them. I am a machinist and machine shop instructor at Gordon Cooper Tech Center in Shawnee Oklahoma. Just to give a little backround on myself.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: First post
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 05:36:20 PM »
Welcome Rodney!  The last couple of days we have had a bunch of new members, maybe we can get this Forum more active.  Post some pictures when you get a chance.  Wayne is a good guy and can get you almost any part that you need.  Get that bike running and maybe get to the Portland show next July.

Rick
Rick

RodneyS

• It just fits
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 06:39:23 PM »
    Thanks Rick I will post pictures .  What are the Dates on the Portland Show?  i will be out of school then. :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 12:15:45 PM »
Rick

RodneyS

• It just fits
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 06:19:47 PM »
Rick thanks I will se if we can make it.  I saw a Simplex on ebay that is just listed in squaw Valley California. He is calling it a 48 model but looks like a automatic to me. :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 06:32:05 PM »
Rick thanks I will se if we can make it.  I saw a Simplex on ebay that is just listed in squaw Valley California. He is calling it a 48 model but looks like a automatic to me. :)

I sent him a message earlier asking for a motor number.  The bike has an H motor on it which is a 1948, but I think that the bike is actually a 1949 or 1950 model.
Rick

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 08:58:22 PM »
Hi Rodney. Love to see some pics of your bike :)

RodneyS

• It just fits
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 05:23:39 PM »
Hello,
  Bob and Rick as soon as I get my camera back I will send some pics.  I got new tires on it and cleaned out the fuel system. Put it back together and promply had a leak in settling bowl , fixed that and she started on the second pull. Wow does it get any better than that. The cluth is not working so Ive got it apart now one weight was rusted in place so will clean it up and see what that does.  Also cleaned out and repacked bearings on wheels. ;D

RodneyS

• It just fits
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 08:18:38 PM »
Here are the pics of my 1954 simplex as promised. My grandson on board when we first picked it up and some different views when first brought home. Actually have it runnig now and have rode it. Cluth slips and carb needs adjusting , but too cool!! ;D

RodneyS

• It just fits
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 08:21:15 PM »
some more pics. Does any one know the v belt sizes for the simplex automatic?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 08:46:47 AM »
Looks Great!  Is it converted to pull start?  If so, maybe you could restore it to kick start.

To answer your question, short belt is BX 25 and long is BX 75.
  Rick
Rick

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 09:37:31 AM »
Thats a good looking bike Rodney. Congrats :)

RodneyS

• It just fits
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 04:01:49 PM »
Thanks a lot.  Yes it has been coverted to pull start. I would like to convert back if I can find the parts no rush as the pull start works fine.  The headlight and taillight are not correct so will fix that too. When get it running good and all correct then I maydo a full restoration.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 04:11:16 PM »
Wayne will have the parts you need to convert it back to kickstart.  Might not be that cheap though.
Rick