Author Topic: 1957 Simplex Automatic  (Read 8613 times)

Pete57

• 1957 Simplex
    • View Profile
    • Email
1957 Simplex Automatic
« on: December 19, 2011, 02:02:14 PM »
I just bought a 1957 Simplex Automatic, running condition, here in Alaska. Looks to be original. I plan to restore it starting next winter and will be looking for parts. In the mean time I am waiting on spring to take it out for my first ride.
Pete

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1957 Simplex Automatic
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 03:55:07 PM »
That looks awesome!  I can't imagine there being many Simplexes up in Alaska!  Keep us posted as you progress.  Is there snow on the ground, if not take it out for a short blast!
Rick

RodneyS

• It just fits
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 05:46:05 PM »
   that is awesome .  Like Rick said fire  it up and take it for a short ride even if its just across the garage.

Pete57

• 1957 Simplex
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 05:44:34 AM »
Way to much snow and ice on the ground to risk a ride outside. I have fired it up in the garage. Any ideas on where I can find out info on colors that were used in 57? Thanks,
Pete

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 06:18:52 AM »
I don't have a color chart.  I wonder if one is even is around anymore.  Look around at some of the original bikes posted on the web, and you may get a better idea.

I have read that simplex would paint the bike any color you wanted on special order!  Just opposite of Henry Ford, who said you could have any color you wanted, as long as it was black!
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 06:21:39 AM »
Way to much snow and ice on the ground to risk a ride outside. I have fired it up in the garage. Any ideas on where I can find out info on colors that were used in 57? Thanks,
Pete

The 1953 Simplex I have was a Christmas present from my wife last year. That has to be one of the best presents ever!  I hope to take it for a spin around the block this Christmas if there is no snow on the ground!
Rick

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 11:02:25 PM »
Thats a grand looking bike you found In Alasaka. I doubt there was much of a riding season, so it should be in fairly decent shape. I would be willing to be that you are looking at the original colors on that particular bike. Lots of choices tho. So are you going to build a show bike or a rider?

Pete57

• 1957 Simplex
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 08:07:48 AM »
I did as you guys suggested, fired up the bike in the garage! Can’t wait to get on the road with it. Riding season here is usually late March to the end of October. Some trikes out year round. I am planning to start the restoration next winter. Will probably do a street show restoration since I plan to ride it at least once each year on my birthday.
I plan to take a lot of pictures and document as I go. Starting to organize my parts list next week. Does anyone have info on where the wires for the brake light were run? Mine are on the outside and it doesn’t look correct to me.
Thanks for all your support. This is going to be a fun project! Pete

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 02:08:06 PM »
Pete,my bike is close to yours and mine has a hole in the right rear frame leg near the transmission there is a rubber gromet the wires enter through they then exit out the open end of frame tube by rear hub then they are held by two clips along inside of rear fender brace
Jeremy c.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 02:18:19 PM »
At the end of the frame, the tubes are filled with caps.  One of the caps has a hole in it to pass the wires through.  If you need a picture of this, let me know and I will snap a shot.

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 04:42:33 PM »
I noticed that my bike also has this hole in the frame tube & I thought this might be the purpose, but it is very rough textured.  I though maybe they had burned a hole in the tube by accident when they were welding it up, but I've not taken the time to look at it very closely.  If I can find a grommet to fit, i'll also run my wires thru there as well.
Mike Sal

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 03:21:51 PM »
Hey Mike
 Here are some pictures that I just took of the hole and the gromet and the end caps you are talking about . Hope they help you out. My bike was missing the end cap with the hole in it. Bill Marcum

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 04:31:13 PM »
Thanks Bill.  The hole in my frame looks just like yours.  I'll bet I can get a grommet like that at the hardware store.
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 09:46:49 PM »
While, cleaning the frame today I noticed my 3 plugs in the rear frame rails seemed to have never been chrome, but painted and the remaining one with the hole for the wires wasn't a cap at all, but rather a dry rotted cork with a hole for the wires could this be original, or has it been changed ?
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 05:42:13 AM »
My plugs were not chromed either.  I'll have to look at the one with a hole again to know, but I had assumed it was a metal washer.
Mike Sal