Author Topic: 1957 Simplex Automatic  (Read 8614 times)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1957 Simplex Automatic
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 06:40:42 AM »
My '48 used corks in the tube ends. Before you begin dissassembly for the restoration you might want to take many detailed pics to remind you later how the bike came to you. And even keep a log of how things came apart. Always helps me on resto jobs.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 07:10:59 AM »
My 49 also used the cork plugs.  If I had not converted this to a 3 wheel truck, which doesn't need any plugs, I would not have used cork.  It is my feeling that cork retains moisture inside the frame and promotes rust.  I would use the metal plugs.

Rick
Rick

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 02:33:54 PM »
Just an up date on my Simplex project. Was out in the garage and did the final disassembly of the bike. took the brakets  and the taillights off of the fenders. Took the tires off of the rims. No more disassembly, it is all done. Now to get my sand blaster working. How about some ideal of what type abrasive to use on my fenders. I am new at sand blasting but I am going to give it a try. Here are a few pictures, I do not know if they will help anyone . I just took them for myself for when it is time to put it back together. Bill Marcum

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 04:02:42 PM »
I blasted the frame outside with black beauty, which I find cuts better than sand.  For everything else, I blasted them inside my cabinet with glass beads. The glass beads are a little slower, but leave a really nice finish.

Rick