Author Topic: Simplex Project  (Read 5433 times)

tmenard

• View Profile
    • Email
Simplex Project
« on: September 14, 2013, 06:37:09 AM »
I'm new here and I have bought a Simplex project bike. I know that the headlight, fenders, handle bars, and of course the motor are not correct and the foot rests and the crash bar have been removed. Can you tell me anything else about the bike. Here are a couple pictures I took before I bought it.
This is a great site and there is a lot of good information on here. I'm glad to be a part of it. Thanks, Tim
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 06:40:03 AM by tmenard »

simplexguy

• View Profile
Re: Simplex Project
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 07:13:37 AM »
Looking at your front fork, I would say that was a sportsman model. It most likley didn't ever have crash bars on it, and the foot pegs would be correct as they are. This bike would date somewhere in 1957 or 58. Looks like a good start for a project. Some one has turned the rear brake around backwards. The fork part should fit through a pin on the frame to hold the backing plate when the brake is applied

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 08:12:20 AM »
I think simplexguy is correct : Sportsman frame .

It looks to be in decent condition .

Have you given Mike Sal the frame # , located under the fork neck support ?

I have to wonder just how they intended to stop the bike . I see neither brake is functional .

The bottom ends on the fork tubes seem different ( unfinished ) compared to mine :

And you're missing the spring washers ( stop/limiter collars ) . The springs are suppose to sit like :

And , I have to say , that's an awfully nice carry bag you have . ;)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 08:30:35 AM »
We need more pictures of the front end, from a straight ahead view.  I agree, looks like a sportsman to me.
Rick

tmenard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 10:26:38 AM »
Looking at your front fork, I would say that was a sportsman model. It most likley didn't ever have crash bars on it, and the foot pegs would be correct as they are. This bike would date somewhere in 1957 or 58. Looks like a good start for a project. Some one has turned the rear brake around backwards. The fork part should fit through a pin on the frame to hold the backing plate when the brake is applied

Thank you very much, all 3 of you.. I'll pick the bike up in November. Once I get it home I'll check it out closer. Thanks again for the information. I really appreciate you guys taking the time and including the pictures. I'm sure I'll have more questions at that time. Thanks again, Tim
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 10:30:14 AM by tmenard »

tmenard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 10:44:49 AM »
I think simplexguy is correct : Sportsman frame .

It looks to be in decent condition .

Have you given Mike Sal the frame # , located under the fork neck support ?

I have to wonder just how they intended to stop the bike . I see neither brake is functional .

The bottom ends on the fork tubes seem different ( unfinished ) compared to mine :

And you're missing the spring washers ( stop/limiter collars ) . The springs are suppose to sit like :

And , I have to say , that's an awfully nice carry bag you have . ;)

That's my drinking water bag for crossing the desert?
Is the Sportsman Simplex as common as the other model?

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 11:27:37 AM »
"Is the Sportsman Simplex as common as the other model?"

Probably not , being as they weren't made for nearly as long a period of time .

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 01:37:52 PM »
I would guess that simplex did not build more than a couple thousand sportsman bikes.  To restore that bike back to original will be very difficult, because it used some parts, such as the inboard starter, that are not readily available.
Rick

tmenard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 08:22:46 AM »
I would guess that simplex did not build more than a couple thousand sportsman bikes.  To restore that bike back to original will be very difficult, because it used some parts, such as the inboard starter, that are not readily available.

Will I have a hard time finding the correct fenders and handlebars?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 08:24:06 AM »

Will I have a hard time finding the correct fenders and handlebars?

Handlebars are available reproduction.  Fenders on that model are the normal style, and will have to be found used.
Rick

tmenard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 12:26:25 PM »
Thanks Rick for information.

tmenard

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 05:46:47 AM »
Well I finally got my "new" bike home. The first thing I did was to take the bicycle fenders off and put on a pair that I bought from our Simplex Brother dw1973 and put a tube in the back tire. The motor that is on it is a cast iron block of some manufacture unknown that is welded to some angle iron motor mounts and they are welded to the frame, nice! Right now I'm thinking, if I don't come across an original motor, I'll do a Honda GC 190 motor. I hope the new photos will help to see the parts that are correct or are not to be on my bike.
Thanks, Tim

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 06:22:18 AM »
Nice start!  That thing is screaming for a GC190 motor.  That will turn that into a nice rider!
Rick

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 06:28:01 AM »
I like it!  what tires are those?

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 07:33:48 AM »
Agreed . Nice start . Looks like you'll be wearing down a cutting wheel or two . ;)