Author Topic: what year sportsman  (Read 8791 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: what year sportsman
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, 02:20:15 PM »
sorry rick I missunderstood. so what are you planning to do for tires on your project? there seems to be a good deal of confusion about them at least I am confused about them thanks jason

I am going to get the Coker 27 x 3.50, as that is what I believe to be correct.  I will be working on the sportsman over the winter and will update everyone on the tires when I have the correct info.
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 08:57:54 AM »
Here is a picture of a sportsman in blue.  This is the only picture I could find of one not in red.  According to a simplex dealer order form for 1960 models, sportsman's could be had in black,red,blue and chrome models.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 09:20:06 AM »
Looks more red than blue , Rick . ;)

Maybe the tank has been replaced ?

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

dhan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2013, 09:39:55 AM »
were the wide flat fenders always chrome and the traditonal rounded fenders painted? Thanks guys learning alot Jason

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2013, 10:05:43 AM »
were the wide flat fenders always chrome and the traditonal rounded fenders painted? Thanks guys learning alot Jason

I don't think so.  It is my feeling that the 1958 Sportsman had the regular rounded fenders, along with the standard 2" wheels, whereas the 1959 and 1960 Sportsman went to the wider, flat fenders to accommodate the bigger tire/wheel combination.
Rick

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2013, 10:07:04 AM »
Doesn't look like the fender on the sportsman we picked up...but I know my 2008 ambassador whizzer had fenders for a 3" tire that would really look orig on a simplex...just not the sportsman style

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2013, 10:14:47 AM »
Rick, look at where the brake light switch is mounted on that bike.....makes me think it's another clue that the "crash bar" version Sportsmen were made from left over frames.....the top mounted brake switch was supposed to be a "56 only" feature from what I've been able to gather.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2013, 10:24:44 AM »
That picture I posted ONLY for the gas tank!  I think that was in the Wollard collection, and the auction company threw a tank on a frame of who knows what year to sell it as a "roller".
Rick

dhan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 10:08:41 AM »
hey guys had a minute to work on the simplex last night. I am having trouble getting  kicker gear and drive pulley free from the crank shaft. It is the sportsman with the inner gear assembly is the gear and pulley left hand thread ? or are they keyed to the shaft any advice would be great thanks jason

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 10:27:42 AM »
Looking at the photos of Rick's engine (in the "Engine Tear Down" thread in the "Engine & Transmission" section) shows a pulley with a keyway & no threads.  The pulleys on the non-sportsmen are left hand thread. 

Looking at the photo of Ricks crankshaft in the same thread, it appears the crank has right hand threads.  Have you tried a 12 point socket & an impact driver on it?

Rick or Wayne will know for sure. 
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2013, 11:32:43 AM »
Mike is correct.  The pulley is keyed and the starter gear is right hand threaded.  To remove the gear, just use a 12 point, 1 1/4 wrench.  If you don't have a wrench that size, I am sure a monkey wrench would work, just be careful with the teeth.
Rick

dhan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2013, 11:57:54 AM »
thanks a ton guys I have loked at all the pics i could see and no luck but the socket trick is may work too. the gear apears to be bronze is that correct?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2013, 12:09:56 PM »
I think all the gears are steel.  I would think bronze would be way to soft to last long.

Post a picture of your crank with the gear on it, please.
Rick

dhan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2013, 12:24:06 PM »
i also thought that bronze would be way  to soft. this gear si definatly not steel and is showing alot of wear. I will try and get some help with a camera i owe you guys some pics of the whole mess thanks again for the help jason

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2013, 03:29:58 PM »
Rick, does the sportsman pinion have the same number of teeth as the regular bikes?  The center threaded hole must be significantly bigger for it to fit so far up on the crank.
Mike Sal