Author Topic: what year sportsman  (Read 8789 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: what year sportsman
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2013, 04:27:41 PM »
Rick, does the sportsman pinion have the same number of teeth as the regular bikes?  The center threaded hole must be significantly bigger for it to fit so far up on the crank.
Mike Sal

Yes it does Mike. The center hole is a 3/4".
Rick

dhan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2013, 08:02:10 AM »
Just a quick thank you !!! I got the motor apart last night, even tried those pics but the camera wasnt willing to play. After a trip in the beads it really apears for all the world the gear is bronze. Also the sportsman case has a stress crack in the web and a broken mount both i belive can be repaired but I also have a good case that I could swap what do you guys think about this? I will repair the origial wither way unless it does not work out. thanks guys the wrench idea worked great wish i knew of it sooner Jason

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2013, 08:09:29 AM »
Welding the case in the web should work out fine.  Put a magnet on the gear and let us know if it sticks!
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2013, 10:22:52 AM »
I wonder if a bronze gear was one of the many experiments Treen played with.  You would have thought after all the years of using steel gears he would have already known what to expect out of a softer material......Or another possible explanation could be the regular vendor was going to be late in delivery (the volume for the sportsman version gear had to be quite low) & they sourced some bronze ones from some local shop to get them by.
Mike Sal

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2013, 11:22:21 AM »
Mike, I think it would have been easier to convert a regular pinion gear by removing the flange, drilling the hole larger and taping the threads.
Rick

dhan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2013, 09:47:40 AM »
Hey guys put a magnet to the gear. It is very weakly magnetic i do mean weakly so really dont konw on that one??

also I hada couple case numbers was hoping you guys could tell me a ball park year.N H10511   and a  M15082b thanks for all the help so far guys. Jason

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2013, 12:00:43 PM »
That gear might be an alloy of some sort ...
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2013, 03:24:16 PM »
My guess on those engine crankcases are '47 and late '53 or early '54.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2014, 05:15:23 AM »
Hey, are you still working on this bike?  Give us an update and pictures please!

When you opened up the motor, did it have the wave washers on the crankshaft?  If so, I would really like a picture of those, as my motor did not have these and just had a couple of springs cut down to one coil in their place.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 07:40:51 AM by RickS »
Rick