Author Topic: Determing year by recognition?  (Read 4056 times)

WVbiker

• View Profile
Determing year by recognition?
« on: October 26, 2013, 02:19:47 PM »
Is there a way to visually determine the Simplex year of manufacture?  I was told by the seller the bike was a 1954 model however according to the registry listing the frame number appears to be within the 1956 range.  I am in the process of applying for a title as I purchased the bike with a bill of sale and the year of manufacture is important.  The stop light switch is on the right side top of frame and I believe I read somewhere in the forum that is a characteristic of a 1956 model.  Was that the only year, or at least the first, for the switches location? 

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Determing year by recognition?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 03:41:12 PM »
I would agree on 1956.  I think this may be the only year for the light switch on the bottom, then in late 1956 they moved it to the top.
Rick

WVbiker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 04:43:38 PM »
Are there any other distingushing features which would identify the bike as a 1956 model rather than a 1954 model?  By the way the frame number is 15215 and the motor number is M17891B.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 05:11:13 PM »
That frame number fits right in at 1956. The motor number, on the other hand, indicates 1955.  Maybe motor was changed at some point.  We all know that Simplex used whatever was on hand and maybe that motor just never got installed in 1955.
Rick

WVbiker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 05:17:47 PM »
I am inclined to believe that the motor was a "hold over" from 55' and originally installed on this bike, rather than was changed out at some point.  Every other item appears to be original to the bike.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 10:43:28 AM »
Somehow I've missed this thread.  VW I've sent you a PM about info for the registry.

I agree that your chasis is a '56 (Rick, you got it backwards.....the bracket is on top in '56 & on bottom for '57 & later models).  It's also possible that that older motor was still on the shelf & got used in '56.

My opinion is that Simplex kept so many parts (like complete engines) in storage for service orders.  After a certain amount of time, if the parts wern't sold, they got rotated back into production and newer parts took their place on the shelf.  This would be one reason for the wild delta's between frame & motor numbers.

The really cool part of this bike is that it is only 1 frame number newer than one already in the registry (# 15214, owned by JamesC).  We need to get some more info from him to see how close the bikes started out.
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 12:09:08 PM »
"Somehow I've missed this thread.  VW I've sent you a PM about info for the registry."

Mike ,
Just hit the " Show unread posts since last visit. " link at the top of every page and you won't miss any new posts or threads .
And , it's WV ... ;)
Goes around , Comes around . :)