Author Topic: Original vs Rod  (Read 2076 times)

old servi

• View Profile
Original vs Rod
« on: November 23, 2013, 11:03:18 AM »
From the old school, nothing like looking at an original restoration job. Takes your mind back to the days when the Car, Truck, or Cycle was out there to drive or ride as original look and operation. Today, as parts are getting harder to find and other things get the restoration going toward as called in cars, street rod status.
Every one has their own mind set on what they want in owning a classic. In the car and truck industry, two big sets of organizations going. The pure restoration and the more usable restoration of using modern parts to put the vehicle on the road more like todays cars and trucks.
For me, I prefer to have something that I value as original status even if I do not put it on the road daily to drive or ride.
It is just what you want in your cycle or car, leave it as original as possible and thus have
not destroyed the original body or frame or cut and add to satisfy your ownership of the cycle or car.
Its your own cycle, car or truck so have it as you want it and remember, you bought it, not anyone who complains about the restoration.

Bruce

• View Profile
Re: Original vs Rod
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 12:47:39 PM »
The difference in price can be a lot....hard to argue with a $99 harbor freight engine with a $125 tav on it....while he's having fun riding. 

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 01:44:19 PM »
My opinion is restore an original bike if practical.  If you have the original motor and transmission, this is doable.  If the engine and transmission are gone, the cost to restore would make this impractical.  These bikes make great candidates for "restomods".
Rick

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 03:08:02 PM »
I think original is best as well, but not always practical. I plan on riding mine a lot, so I may eventually get one of the harbor freight motors, but still make it so I can use the original motor. I'm also gonna try to make mine as "eye catching" as I can, but hopefully nothing will be alteraed that can't be put back to original.

simplex1957

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 05:27:02 PM »
 I like original, not necessarily every nut, bolt etc. But frame, motor, wheels, etc.   I like to keep original.
On the other hand, if you have a rolling frame and no motor, you got to do what you have to do. It is
better to use what you have than to toss it.

Don't force it----get a bigger hammer