Author Topic: Database for Model Changes  (Read 4466 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Database for Model Changes
« on: March 06, 2014, 08:43:23 PM »
I am working on a database which outlines the changes Simplex made throughout the years to help people figure out what year their bike might be.  I'm scrounging back thru all the literature as well as what knowledge we've gained over the last couple years.

Once we've got a  rough draft ironed out, I'll post it here for you to check out & offer additional info.  Once we're happy with it I'll ask Rick to turn it into a sticky.

One thing I uncovered was in regard to front fork springs.  A few weeks ago someone said their bike had 4 small springs instead of 2 long springs.....we all thought they were non-original replacements.....but I know know that the model K bike was so equipted.
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
Re: Database for Model Changes
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 09:36:41 PM »
Interesting , Mike .

Should be a good read .

Let me know if I can do anything to help .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 04:03:58 AM »
I am working on a database which outlines the changes Simplex made throughout the years to help people figure out what year their bike might be.  I'm scrounging back thru all the literature as well as what knowledge we've gained over the last couple years.

Once we've got a  rough draft ironed out, I'll post it here for you to check out & offer additional info.  Once we're happy with it I'll ask Rick to turn it into a sticky.

One thing I uncovered was in regard to front fork springs.  A few weeks ago someone said their bike had 4 small springs instead of 2 long springs.....we all thought they were non-original replacements.....but I know know that the model K bike was so equipted.
Mike Sal

Mike, I owned a model K Deluxe, and it did not have the 4 small springs, but had the 2 long ones in chrome.  I have the model K servi-gram at home and I will look and see what it says later today.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 10:09:42 AM »
that's interesting Rick.  It makes me wonder how accurate the info was that Hilliker & Knapp collected (at least some of it).  Could be it was a running change due to a shortage of long springs for a specific period of time.

That's the thing we all have to remember.  All of the "facts" that we assemble have to be taken with a grain of salt.
Mike Sal

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 10:28:00 AM »
Mike, I agree.  With Simplex, there are no absolutes!
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 12:23:13 PM »
" I have the model K servi-gram at home and I will look and see what it says later today."

Rick , do we have that servi-gram  on site ?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 12:51:51 PM »
" I have the model K servi-gram at home and I will look and see what it says later today."

Rick , do we have that servi-gram  on site ?

No, but I will get it up here.  Thanks for the kind prod.
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 01:25:29 PM »
Ok Pete,  the 1949 Model K Servi-Gram is now posted in the manuals section.  Man, what a propaganda machine Simplex was.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 02:45:20 PM »
Great . Thanks , Rick . :)

How ya gonna sell anything if folks don't know about it ? ;)

And , I noticed that #7 in that servi-gram says that the K came with 2 springs per side on the fork . 1 long and 1 short .

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 02:56:53 PM »
Great . Thanks , Rick . :)

How ya gonna sell anything if folks don't know about it ? ;)

And , I noticed that #7 in that servi-gram says that the K came with 2 springs per side on the fork . 1 long and 1 short .

No doubt that is where the info Mike has came from.  I'm just saying I owned a model K, and it had single springs on each side.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 03:02:43 PM »
That's what I figured . Still , makes me wonder if somewhere along the line a PO switched them or ???

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 03:03:55 PM »
That's what I figured . Still , makes me wonder if somewhere along the line a PO switched them or ???

If I was a betting man, I would say it came that way from the factory, but who knows?
Rick