Author Topic: 1960 Sportsman  (Read 23398 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
1960 Sportsman
« on: March 10, 2014, 07:05:35 AM »
As many on here know, I traded my 3 wheel Simplex Truck replica last year for a 1960 Sportsman.  This is a relatively rare rear foot peg model. I have been told they are uncomfortable to ride, but we shall see.  I have spent the last 6 months gathering parts for this build.  I have now acquired most of the parts to put it together.  I have posted a few things in some other threads about it, but to keep it together, I will repost some of the things here.

Here is how I got it.  Dirty, put looking pretty decent.

Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1960 Sportsman
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 07:07:39 AM »
Down in my workshop.  Much nicer to work in the basement during the cold winter than in the garage!
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 07:14:24 AM »
Here is the engine torn down.  Many things were wrong with it.  See this thread for the gory details.

http://www.simplexservi-cycle.com/index.php?topic=749.0

I have not built the engine yet, as I am still on the lookout for a single spark plug cylinder for it.  I do have a dual plug cylinder ready to go if that becomes the only thing holding up the project.

Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 07:20:00 AM »
It took a little while to figure out how the kick start return spring went on, especially since it was the wrong one!  I bought a box full of springs from Glenn at Portland that came from the Wollard auction, and there was 2 new correct ones in the box!  Talk about lucky!

I also got the brake rod worked out.
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 07:31:17 AM »
Tires for these bikes are not the same as a standard simplex 2.50 x 26.  They used a 3.00 x 27, which used a different diameter rim.  Being as Coker doesn't make this size, I choose to go with a 3.00 x 21 motorcycle tire.  These are close to the correct rim size, and I have seen an article where these were used with success.  Being that the only tread pattern I could get for these was for a trials bike, they are very aggressive. If I was going to order another pair, I would choose to get 2.75 x 21, as the slightly smaller size would leave a little more frame clearance.
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 07:50:34 AM »
As it sits now.  I'm digging the riser handlebars!  I assembled the throttle and grips. Only 4 months to go before Portland.
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 10:36:51 AM »
That is looking great so far and yes you will like the higher handlebars.  Makes it fell a little more like right. I just wished I had a true set of sportman handlebars for mine. Theres something about the clean look that catches your eye.  ;D

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 02:23:29 PM »
Rick,  you will be leaning back and I will be leaning forward!

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 03:57:10 PM »
Looks great Rick. Is that tank freshly painted, or were you able to get that shine from buffing it?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 04:52:29 PM »
That's the paint that was on it when I got it.  I just buffed it out.  It is an ok paint job.  I may repaint it in the future. 
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 07:00:47 PM »
I'm not a fan of the hi rise handlebars.  With the style of these bikes I think the standard style looks better.

I wonder how many Sportsmen have showed up at Portland over the years? 
Mike Sal

WillH

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 04:17:03 AM »
In my opinion, it's would be hard to improve on the old original style handlebars. They seem to fit perfect with the era and classic style of the Servi Cycle.

Will

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 05:30:08 AM »
I was re-reading the Wollard Simplex book & am a little surprised on how general it was in terms of actual facts & dates (just goes to show how much more research has been collected via the internet over the years since he wrote the book).  He even states he hadn't even seen a Sportsman in real life & he was the self proclaimed king of Simplex at that time.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 06:17:43 AM »
I was re-reading the Wollard Simplex book & am a little surprised on how general it was in terms of actual facts & dates (just goes to show how much more research has been collected via the internet over the years since he wrote the book).  He even states he hadn't even seen a Sportsman in real life & he was the self proclaimed king of Simplex at that time.
Mike Sal

Mike, where did you read that? On page 30, he wrote he had never seen a SportSTER, not SportsMan.  If you get out the magnifying glass and look at the 2 picture on the right side of the page, the tank decal on the lower picture reads Sportster, where as the top one reads Sportsman.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 07:33:31 PM »
Rick I got a good chuckle from my goof.....I was reading that last night while I was getting bleary eyed right before going to bed.....I guess I wasn't too alert!!!  Thanks for straightening me out.