Author Topic: Simplex Model Year Differences  (Read 24122 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Simplex Model Year Differences
« on: March 18, 2014, 10:53:51 AM »
Here's a database I put together from information gleened thru the manuals and various articles written about Simplex over the years.  As we have all gotten to know, there are very few hard & fast rules as to what parts were correct for any particular year of bike.  The running changes at the factory, the ups & downs of their fortunes while Paul Treen was in business all play into the great variability of what parts might be on what bike.  Added to this are the many variations to title & registrations used by the different states back in those days (to some, it was more important what year you were registering rather than what year the bike was made).

Please let me know about other variations or corrections.  I'm sure the list will continue to grow and change, but at least this gives everyone a base to start from when trying to decide what year their bike was made (the frame & motor changes will help those with bikes built prior to frame numbers).
Mike Sal

old servi

• View Profile
Re: Simplex Model Year Differences
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 09:01:04 PM »
Mike, you are a great help to the Servi Cycle owners. Lots of work by you on this info and we
all thank you!
Old Servi   

Gramps

• View Profile
    • US Scooter Museum
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 09:36:28 PM »
I'll second that.
Thanks Mike
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right,
There's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 05:12:48 AM »
Mike for president!!!

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 05:26:04 AM »
.......and if elected, I promise a chicken in every pot, a car in every garage!!!
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 05:34:34 AM »
.......and if elected, I promise a chicken in every pot, a car in every garage!!!
Mike Sal

and Free medical care for all!!!  Wait, I'm the guy paying for that!!
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 05:51:09 AM »
Mike Sal

A car ??? I want a Simplex .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 12:59:50 PM »
Everyone gets a check! No one works!   But wait...where do you cash it or spend if no ones working?...vote for mike...he promised to work on that too!

Dominic DiMarko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 10:25:20 PM »
Thanks Mike!!!

Milt36

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 07:56:37 PM »
Mike, after looking over your data base, I've concluded that the direct drive Servi Cycle I had as a kid which I believed was a 1941, must have been a 1939.  The brake pedal was on the left.   It had been upgraded with an H model engine so it ran fairly good.  I posted a picture of it in the gallery.

henrylr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 08:32:08 AM »
Wow, what an informative site. The model year differences pdf, and sections on manuals and brochures are loaded with info. Member posts and photos are great. It almost makes me want to restore my old bike.

Thanks,
henrylr

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 01:32:39 PM »
Henry I just noticed the machine shop tag on your posts. Are you involved in machine shop work? Certainly not absolutely necessary skills on restoring the frame but quite useful in the motor work...if for no other reason than having the ability to accurately gauge and clearance etc. Might be a fun project for you. Fantastic restorations of Servi-cycles are on display here that were completed by guys from every walk of life and some of those started with bikes in marginal condition for restoration. If you are a trained machinist your Simplex restoration should be a worthwhile project, not easy...good work never is, but always satisfying. I'd love to have the Cushman Eagle, Mustang Thourghbred and Honda CL 350 Scrambler I had as a kid to rebuild right now. I'd drop all other projects to fully restore these treasures from my youth, not someone else's but my titled rides from the sixties and early seventies. Good luck to you on whatever you decide.   Rick C.